"ROAD TRIP IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC" Czech Republic by balhannah

Czech Republic Travel Guide: 17,455 reviews and 42,272 photos

LETS GO!

4th APRIL 2013, and we are on another road trip through-out the Czech Republic, so once again, I will ask you to join me as a "virtual" passenger to see some of the major sights and others that are off the beaten track.

Our journey begins from the beautiful city of Waldsassen, Germany from which we follow Route 299 to the Czech Rep. border where it changes to 214 into CHEB where we are staying the night. I had plenty of time to walk around the city admiring many beautiful buildings. I quite liked what I saw.

We depart in the morning, making our first stop at the beautiful Spa town of MARIANSKE LAZNE. a town whose many buildings are painted lemon & white. Being a Spa town, the buildings are elaborate and beautiful - I loved them!
We spent quite a bit of time here before moving onto LOKET to see the Caste. This Castle sat on a craggy rock overlooking the town.
From Loket onto KARLOVY VARY another lovely spa town, and then onto PRAGUE where we will spend a few nights.

On the road again and we make a stop at the small town of MELNIK which is situated in a very pretty location.
LITOMERICE is next, then onto TEREZIN [Concentration camp] It was heart-breaking reading documents, seeing photos and watching a video.

We crossed the border into Germany to visit Dresden, then came back to the Czech Republic............

First stopping at the town of HRENSKO, a town located beside an interesting national park.
Next stop is NOVY BOR, then to CESKA LIPAwhere we stay the night in a Pension.

Early morning, we are on the road and making our first stop at LIBEREC, then travel on through interesting scenery and have lunch at MALA SKALA. In this area are national parks with lots of interesting rock formations and rock Castles. JICIN was next, then KUTNA HORA where we stayed the night in the centre of the old town. Kutna Hora is a wonderful town to explore, and the amazing "Bone" church is located here - a must see!

Today, we head to CHRUDIM, then to LITOMYSL, a town with a lot of historical interest and a huge UNESCO listed Chateau. OLOMOUC is our final city for the day, and this is where we stop for the night. This city has so much to offer, it really is a must visit! We continue onto the town of LIPNIK nad BECOUV, a really old historical town that I liked. From here, it was onto ROSNOV pod RADHOSTEM where we wandered around an excellent Open Air Village.

On our 2013 road trip, this was our last Czech town before crossing the border into Slovakia.

It's the 16th June, 2011, and we are travelling by Car on the L22, across the border between Austria and the Czech Republic.

Have you ever noticed how immediately, Houses, farms, roads etc. change when you cross borders.

DAY 1.............

Only 5mins into the Czech Republic and I spot the turn-off to see Colannade Reisten, so we head there for a look and then onto Valtice to see the Palace. From Valtice, we travelled on until we found some accommodation which was at the Town of Uhesky Brod

DAY 2................

After a good nights sleep, and a very filling excellent breakfast, we were on the road again, but only for a short distance, as we stop at the town of Luhacovice.
As there was so many building's with beautiful architecture, and this town was set in a lovely setting, it was one of my favorites! I loved my time here, and could have stayed longer! Heading onto Buchlovice, I could see a Castle in a good vantage point on a hill, so make a detour and visit.
We arrive at Buchlovice which has a beautiful Chateau and Fuchsia garden. We both enjoyed our time here. So now we are moving onto Kromeriz Wow! This was some garden and Rotunda, a must see!
It was time to find accommodation again, and this was at the town of Slavkov U Brna where we saw another lovely chateau.

Day 3......

After a good night we are on the road, but not for long, as at the small town of Bucovice there is a market and a festival. After enjoying some time here, we moved onto Milotice Chateau, which was lovely!
What a day, as our next stop was Lednice, a wow!
We went and saw the beautiful Chateau and gardens before moving onto another beautiful medieval town - Mikulov.
The day ended at Znojmo.
What a wonderful day this had been!

Day 4.......

We head to the Town of Jaromerice where we visit a huge Castle and its gardens. From here, its to the small Town of Dacice before arriving at the lovely Town of Telc. We left Telc earlier than we wanted because of a thunderstorm. From here, we went to Jindrichuv Hradec. It was still raining, but it didn't stop me! Our next destination is to see the Castle Hluboka nad Vltavou

On the road again, and we need to find somewhere for morning tea! Located just off the main road, is the small Town of Zlata Koruna
Our next stop is at the medieval city of Cesky Krumlov This was a wonderful historic town, and a MUST SEE if you are in the area.

We are now following the road to the border and entering AUSTRIA

I do hope you will join me as I travel through Austria!

• Pros:The Palaces are lovely
  • Cons:Rough roads, unfriendly people, no photos allowed in lots of places
  • In a nutshell:Lots of interesting medieval towns
  • Last visit to Czech Republic: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

May 15, 2015 at 3:09 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who puts "unfriendly people" in cons. Some people get angry about those sorts of comments, but if they are rude, they are rude. I didn't really interact with the people, so I can't say if they are friendly or not, but based on what I've heard about the country, I believe you. I've noticed that Europeans in general tend to be unfriendly, though there are a few acceptations. It's just a different mentality over there, that you have to accept if you travel in Europe.

I don't like the "No Photos" part either. I still want to visit Czech Republic thoroughly some day, despite your comments. It can't be much worse than Slovakia and places in Poland.

May 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Americans too.
      So far I've only been to one country I do not want return to, because of the people.
      If the country is really interesting, and I didn't see "all" of it, I can look past the rude people, and come back. Sometimes I just need a short break.
      But I do not like to visit countries I've already been to, unless I have family there, or it's big, in which case, I just try to visit a different region each time.

May 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM

It's really annoying for me, because Americans are known for their friendliness and openness, and in the U.S., we don't have all these ridiculous photo/video restrictions, accept on Indian reservations.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Lovely page Dee!

• ducksecret's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2014 at 5:17 AM

That vibrant yellow paint, peeling off the wall brings me right back to Prague.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Great tips, love the Aisa Dragon Bazaar! Nice page!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM

We loved Prague, but it was at very end of a long trip and we were tired, so we didn't get around to the countryside, so am going to have a bit of a 'Virtual Tour'! GRACIAS! will be back again to see more

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Czech Republic

• 1,910 Photos

Have you been to Czech Republic?