"THE AMAZING ROCAMADOUR!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rocamadour by balhannah
Rocamadour Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 167 photos
When I first set eye's on Rocamadour, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.
This town is very old, going back to 30,000 years ago, when it was a place of worship.
What amazes me, is how did they build those building's on the sides of the Cliff's, way back in the Medieval times?
THE LEGEND OF ROCAMADOUR...........
A Christian hermit named Zaccheus is believed to have spoken to Jesus.
It's thought, he was the husband of St. Veronica, who wiped the face of Jesus as he climbed to Calvary.
Zaccheus is said to have brought with him to Rocamadour a statue of the Black Virgin.
Some claim the town was named for the hermit, a "lover of rock" (roc amator).
Zaccheus died in 70AD.
It was after the Hermit's death and burial in Rocamadour, the site became a place of pilgrimage.
Many Pilgrim's reported experiencing miraculous healings and conversions at the shrine.
1078 and Rocamadour was first mentioned in the texts of Pope Gregory VII, as one of the four major pilgrimage sites in the Middle Ages with Rome, Jerusalem and Compostela
In 1166 the well preserved body of St. Amadour was found, and this brought crowd's of pilgrim's to the shrine, and in the 13th century, Rocamadour became the Lourdes of the Middle Ages!
1562 and the body of St. Amadour was burned by the Huguenots during the religious wars.
The town was rebuilt and now is the spiritual center of the diocese of Cahors.
Rocamadour once again hosts many pilgrims and tourists.
Today, you have to climb 216 steps to the top of the rocky plateau on which the Chapel of Our Lady is located. As an act of penance, pilgrims would regularly make the entire climb on their knees, and some still do today.
The shrine eventually became so famous that kings and bishops began granting special privileges to those who made the pilgrimage.
Many notable people visited Rocamadour over the years, including St. Bernard, St. Dominic, St. Louis and King Louis XI
After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town
- Cons:Too Busy! Too hard to find a car park!
- In a nutshell:Pretty location, amazing buildings!
Padirac is a small Village with some famous Cave's. You really need to look at the website to see if you want to go, to... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Rocamadour Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Rocky Plateau Village"
- "THE AMAZING ROCAMADOUR!"
- "Rocamadour mon amour"
- "Make the climb to Rocamadour"
- "THE CITY that you have not to miss"
- "A Site That Is Up, Down and in the Middle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rocamadour
- Hotels in Rocamadour
- Transportation in Rocamadour
- Restaurants in Rocamadour
- Warnings and Dangers in Rocamadour
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rocamadour
- 3 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (264)
Have you been to Rocamadour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rocamadour
Photos in RocamadourSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 740 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues