"THE AMAZING ROCAMADOUR!" Top 5 Page for this destination Rocamadour by balhannah

Rocamadour Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 167 photos

When I first set eye's on Rocamadour, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

This town is very old, going back to 30,000 years ago, when it was a place of worship.

What amazes me, is how did they build those building's on the sides of the Cliff's, way back in the Medieval times?

THE LEGEND OF ROCAMADOUR...........

A Christian hermit named Zaccheus is believed to have spoken to Jesus.

It's thought, he was the husband of St. Veronica, who wiped the face of Jesus as he climbed to Calvary.

Zaccheus is said to have brought with him to Rocamadour a statue of the Black Virgin.

Some claim the town was named for the hermit, a "lover of rock" (roc amator).

Zaccheus died in 70AD.

It was after the Hermit's death and burial in Rocamadour, the site became a place of pilgrimage.

Many Pilgrim's reported experiencing miraculous healings and conversions at the shrine.

**************************************************************

1078 and Rocamadour was first mentioned in the texts of Pope Gregory VII, as one of the four major pilgrimage sites in the Middle Ages with Rome, Jerusalem and Compostela

In 1166 the well preserved body of St. Amadour was found, and this brought crowd's of pilgrim's to the shrine, and in the 13th century, Rocamadour became the Lourdes of the Middle Ages!

1562 and the body of St. Amadour was burned by the Huguenots during the religious wars.

The town was rebuilt and now is the spiritual center of the diocese of Cahors.

Rocamadour once again hosts many pilgrims and tourists.

Today, you have to climb 216 steps to the top of the rocky plateau on which the Chapel of Our Lady is located. As an act of penance, pilgrims would regularly make the entire climb on their knees, and some still do today.

The shrine eventually became so famous that kings and bishops began granting special privileges to those who made the pilgrimage.

Many notable people visited Rocamadour over the years, including St. Bernard, St. Dominic, St. Louis and King Louis XI

After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town

ST. FLOUR

• Cons:Too Busy! Too hard to find a car park!
  • In a nutshell:Pretty location, amazing buildings!
  • Last visit to Rocamadour: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2011

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Wow, up to number 3, very impressive. Cheers, Ian

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Certainly did, we came in from the top and walked down about 2/3rds of the way, ducking into all we could en route. We also did Loubressac, Gouffre de Padirac and had dinner at Carennac (on of our favourites). I'm putting them all on a France page because I went to many places most people tend not to go to, so it might encourage them. Cheers, Ian

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jun 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I must have a look there. We both loved that area, I guess having a car makes it easier to reach. We both like the off beaten track places. This time, I found a half-timbered church trail in Champagne-Ardennes area which we both liked. We couldn't see all of them because we were on our way to Strasbourg. They are in quite a compact area though. Thanks for the Birthday greetings. I spent the day at SeaWorld and it was great! New attractions since I was last there, and they now have King Penguins which are so cute!!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

What a fantastic main photo and a lovely page :)

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Just working on next year's trip while my face is a mess, cheers, Ian

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hope you haven't fallen off a cliff and smashed yourself up!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Stunning location, and beautifual scenery! I would love to visit this part of France some day

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Rocamadour certainly does look amazing. And I found it interesting to read about the ups and downs of Chateau de Belcastel over the centuries.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM

What a nice legend of how the village was started! Yet another hermit and yet another part of France I would love to visit. Especially the Gouffre de Padirac, absolutely amazing caves!!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Rocamadour

Have you been to Rocamadour?

Latest Activity in Rocamadour