"HUE & SURROUNDS ARE INTERESTING!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hue by balhannah

Hue Travel Guide: 623 reviews and 1,726 photos

Hue is located on the edge of the Perfume river, along which is a nice riverside walk. On the downside, there are quite a few beggars here

I arrived on an early morning flight from Hanoi. Once at the Airport, I took the Airporter bus to my Hotel which was located in a side lane.

After settling in, I went walking, then hired a cyclo to take me past the main sights. My driver could speak English, was informative and stopped at many sights for me to take photos.

For meals................
There are plenty of restaurants to choose from, have found them all ok.

CITY TOUR OF HUE

I did a full day city tour, which was excellent.
We went to the Citadel first, then a garden house, a incense and conical hat making village and Tu Duc Tomb, which was very impressive. Lunch was at a city Hotel. After lunch to Khai dinh tomb, Minh Mang Tomb and the Perfume Pagoda, THEN back to Hue by dragon boat.
A nice, relaxing way to return to Hue, also, I got to see how the locals lived on and beside the River.

I thought Hue was quite nice, easy to walk around. It has some lovely, French colonial buidings.

My favorite sites were the Citadel and the Tombs.

• Pros:Easy to get around, Excellent Tombs & Citadel
  • Cons:Beggars and uscrupulous people
  • In a nutshell:A nice city for a few days.
  • Last visit to Hue: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2013

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

An enjoyable read about your stay in Hue. Looks like a pleasant place to stay despite the begging and other hassles. Thanks for checking out my West Virginia page.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Interesting page! Too bad that some of the experiences with the local boat people didn't turn out so well. I guess they tried to take advantage of you because you were alone but you did a greaat job of handling them!!!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Very helpful tips. The Holiday Hotel really seems to be a very good find. Interesting to read about your experiences with the boat sightseeing with a local. The steamed buns don't look too bad.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Interesting and useful tips. I wish I had gone to the tunnels when staying in Hue.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Very helpful tips...The boat trip wit locals was not a good idea. Yes this happens in these countries.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM

The tunnels must have been fascinating to see. I'll pass on the pink snails, however.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Very interesting and lots of helpful tips - including what NOT to do like the traditional music tour ;-) The tombs, tunnels and garden houses seemed most appealing to me.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Off for a week of eye clinic work here in April. Good to have a good base of tips to work from!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM

A great, thorough job! Trev was here doing medevac, rescues, troop assault, (helicopter) etc., and yesterday at church met a Vietnamese man who was a child in Hue at the same time Trev was there, ar TET Offensive!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Excellent page, Dee, and very useful. I am researching a trip to Vietnam soon, and this has been most helpful. fergy.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Hue