"Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08" Top 5 Page for this destination Ho Chi Minh City by balhannah
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide: 3,130 reviews and 7,255 photos
HO CHI MINH CITY
The Spring Hotel was to be my base for a few days, a really nice Hotel where I had a very enjoyable stay.
From here, I was close to the Opera house, railway station, Notre Dame cathedral, Reunification Palace, the Saigon river and the Markets. I walked to all of these.
When I caught the motorbike from my Hotel, it only cost 10,000 dong to the markets.
As usual in Vietnam, all of one kind of shops are in the same street, hence, I had quite a time finding the travel agencies. Eventually, asked another Aussie, and they happened to know where they were, and set me on the right track.
They were in the Backpackers area, the other side of the market to me.
I enjoyed walking around the city. I found it safer to cross the street NOT at the traffic lights, as they run the red lights, and quite often it is very congested.
It is really quite easy to cross the road, and I also went for a few motorbike rides.
The city is quite clean, which was a nice change from Hanoi.
There a plenty of eateries also.
TOURS TO THE COUNTRYSIDE
I was disappointed with the Mekong Delta.
It wasn't the tour company, that was good, and how lovely to have a bus with nice clean windows to take photos out of. I thought that it would have been more rural than what it was....Probably, as I had visited rural Vietnam earlier on this holiday, this was just more of the same scenery.
I was really disappointed with the Floating Markets, these had virtually finished by the time the Tour arrived.
If I had my time again, I would not do a day tour, but stay overnight so I could see the Floating markets, you have to be up very early!
The trip to Cao Dai temple and the Cu Chi tunnels was really good.
I was there on a hot day, 35degrees, the tunnels were stifling, and you have to bend over a lot as they are made for the vietnamese. It was interesting, and I felt sorry for our Aussie soldiers because of the terrible way they met their death.
The Temple was amazing, I was very pleased that I did the tour, it was a great day's outing!
- Pros:Easy to get around and clean
- Cons:Annoying sellers again!
- In a nutshell:Lots of shops with bargains for the girls!!!
This tip goes for any city in Vietnam, try and go for a tour out in the countryside as this is where you see villages... more travel advice
On several tours that I did in Vietnam, I was shown a demonstration of how Rice paper was made. It was quite interesting... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saigon Saigon !"
- "IMPREXXION: HO CHI MINH CITY"
- "Former Saigon"
- "Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
- "Lost in Saigon!?"
- "Ho Chin Minh City, the new Saigon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
- Transportation in Ho Chi Minh City
- Nightlife in Ho Chi Minh City
- Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
- Shopping in Ho Chi Minh City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ho Chi Minh City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City
- 30 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ho Chi Minh City
- Posted in Travel Bodrum Forum "Re: bus from bodrum town to..."
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Ho Chi Minh City travel pages
- updated a Ho Chi Minh City Travel Page "Ho Chi Minh City 29/3/08 - 3/4/08"
- Wrote a Review Do a drive in the countryside! about Sights in Ho Chi Minh City Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Do a drive in the countryside!"
Photos in Ho Chi Minh CitySee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue