"VISITING COUNTRY THAILAND - CHIANG MAI" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai by balhannah

Chiang Mai Travel Guide: 1,869 reviews and 4,672 photos

Chiang Mai is Thailand's northern capital, and is quite popular with tourists and also Thais.

A short flight from Bangkok and I arrived in Chiang Mai. The countryside looked quite pretty from the Plane's window.

It was only a short Taxi journey to my accommodation which was situated opposite Wat Chedi Luang, in the Old City. Wat Chedi Luang, is one of 300 hundred ornately decorated Buddhist temples in the city.
Most guesthouses and hotels are situated within or near the square mile of the old town.

Walking is something I did plenty of here.
Thank goodness, it was no where near as hot as Bangkok, quite a relief when you are walking. I enjoyed wandering around the old city, you really don't need a Tuk-Tuk or Taxi to see the sights.
I saw lots and lots of exquisite Temples, some were very, very old!

Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountainous terrain where there are lovely views and gardens.

On my walks, I found Ruins, Shops, Markets, the Moat and more.........

Chiang Mai's enormous night bazaar, is loaded with silk clothing and handicrafts. You will probably see on your market visits, some Thai people from different Tribes, dressed in their colourful outfits trying to sell you some Jewellery.

You can do tours to "Northern culture and hill trekking excursions" into the nearby mountains. Hill treks often include river rafting, elephant riding and visits to hill tribe villages.

A trip to the top of Doi Suithep (mountain) that presides over the west of the city is a must. Its temple is one of Thailand's most revered and the views of the entire valley are fantastic.

A vist to Doi Inthanon National park was a wonderful day, the only disappointing section, was where the Royal Chedi's are located, it was thick fog and raining, what a pity!

Chiang Mai also has plenty to offer by night, and along the Ping's riverbanks are several restaurants and bars, some even do boat trips up the river.

Have a look at the "Off the Beaten Track Tips" there are some lovely places and tours included here!

• Pros:Good Base for doing tours and for shopping
  • Cons:Can be very wet.
  • In a nutshell:Loved the different items for sale at the Craft Markets
  • Last visit to Chiang Mai: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2013

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

great page

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Great Chiang Mai pages! I especially enjoyed reading your Off The Beaten Path tips. Those villages are a must see for me. Thanks for the tips!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Love the temples and the colourful clothes of the native women. I actually thought that the photo of the hippo was a photo of a girl´s dress, hehe.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I enjoyed my second trip to Ciang Mai ( this time via your pages!) I can see you also love plants. Fabulous pictures.

• tim07's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hi, thanks for your comments on my Chiang Mai page. Yours is pretty impressive, I've enjoyed looking through it. Northern Thailand is such a beautiful location. All the best. Tim

• limkahwan's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM

your write up of North Thailand is quite interesting. But I wish you may add the journey of how to get there and any dangerous path.

• DEY's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Great tips, I know my parents loved Chiang Mai! I can't wait to have the time to visit Thailand.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2010 at 7:03 AM

I visited Ciang Mai some years ago...unfortunately did not have a digital then. I can't remember seeing all these sights when there. Very nice tips!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Such a culturally different country. It would need a long stay to absorb a fraction of it.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Great tips!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Chiang Mai

Have you been to Chiang Mai?