"VISITING COUNTRY THAILAND - CHIANG MAI" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Mai by balhannah
Chiang Mai Travel Guide: 1,911 reviews and 4,889 photos
Chiang Mai is Thailand's northern capital, and is quite popular with tourists and also Thais.
A short flight from Bangkok and I arrived in Chiang Mai. The countryside looked quite pretty from the Plane's window.
It was only a short Taxi journey to my accommodation which was situated opposite Wat Chedi Luang, in the Old City. Wat Chedi Luang, is one of 300 hundred ornately decorated Buddhist temples in the city.
Most guesthouses and hotels are situated within or near the square mile of the old town.
Walking is something I did plenty of here.
Thank goodness, it was no where near as hot as Bangkok, quite a relief when you are walking. I enjoyed wandering around the old city, you really don't need a Tuk-Tuk or Taxi to see the sights.
I saw lots and lots of exquisite Temples, some were very, very old!
Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountainous terrain where there are lovely views and gardens.
On my walks, I found Ruins, Shops, Markets, the Moat and more.........
Chiang Mai's enormous night bazaar, is loaded with silk clothing and handicrafts. You will probably see on your market visits, some Thai people from different Tribes, dressed in their colourful outfits trying to sell you some Jewellery.
You can do tours to "Northern culture and hill trekking excursions" into the nearby mountains. Hill treks often include river rafting, elephant riding and visits to hill tribe villages.
A trip to the top of Doi Suithep (mountain) that presides over the west of the city is a must. Its temple is one of Thailand's most revered and the views of the entire valley are fantastic.
A vist to Doi Inthanon National park was a wonderful day, the only disappointing section, was where the Royal Chedi's are located, it was thick fog and raining, what a pity!
Chiang Mai also has plenty to offer by night, and along the Ping's riverbanks are several restaurants and bars, some even do boat trips up the river.
Have a look at the "Off the Beaten Track Tips" there are some lovely places and tours included here!
- Pros:Good Base for doing tours and for shopping
- Cons:Can be very wet.
- In a nutshell:Loved the different items for sale at the Craft Markets
STOP 5 on TRIBAL TOUR Still continuing on back roads our next stop was the Karen Long Neck village. The long necks... more travel advice
STOP 3 on TRIBAL TOUR Continuing on the back roads, out next stop was at a proper White Thai village. Here, we... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Chiang Mai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VISITING COUNTRY THAILAND - CHIANG MAI"
- "Chiang Mai"
- "Chiang Mai Trip 2005: Wed 4th May - Sun 8th May"
- "Chiang Mai"
- "Jungle Trek and Elephant Ride in Chiang Mai"
- "Chiang Mai - Great Base for Trekking"
- "Chiang Mai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiang Mai
- Hotels in Chiang Mai
- Transportation in Chiang Mai
- Nightlife in Chiang Mai
- Restaurants in Chiang Mai
- Shopping in Chiang Mai
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiang Mai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiang Mai
- 53 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (486)
Have you been to Chiang Mai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiang Mai
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: extended trip to australia"
- Commented on one of blueskyjohn's Chiang Mai travel pages
- updated a Chiang Mai Travel Page "VISITING COUNTRY THAILAND - CHIANG MAI"
- Uploaded a Photo to "QUEEN SIRIKIT BOTANICAL GARDENS @ CHIANG MAI"
- Wrote a Review TUK TUK TO AIRPORT about Tuc Tuc & bikes in Chiang Mai Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 320 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues