"AUSTRIA" Austria by balhannah

Austria Travel Guide: 18,897 reviews and 51,033 photos

LOTS OF BEAUTIFUL TOWNS AND SCENERY

On my Austrian page, I will set out where we went by Car in Austria.

If you would like to follow my journey, all you have to do, is click on the first town name, which is GRIFFEN, and then just do the same as you read my other pages in Austria.

You never know, you may wish to do a similar journey!

DAYS 1/2/3....

Early morning on June 7th, 2011, we leave SLOVENJ GRADIC, SLOVENIA, and cross the border into AUSTRIA.

We know we have to buy a Vignette for our Car, but we couldn't at the border crossing as it isn't manned, so we continued a short way to the town of GRIFFEN, where we found a Service Station which sold the Vignettes.

Our second city we are stopping at is KLANGENFURT.

I loved Klangenfurt, so old and some many gorgeous buildings to look at!
My favorite, was the miniature Village of "Minimundus" - in my eyes, it was fantastic!

Back in the car, and we are going to VELDEN AM WORTHERSEE where we are staying for 3 nights.

We have done a trip to BAD EISENKAPPEL to see the Obir Caves, it wasn't successful, so have headed to a small Village in the Mountains by the name of DIEX.

After enjoying a lovely lunch at the Diex Hotel, now its time to hit the road and travel 9kms to HOCHFEISTRITZ

Very little here, but another wonderful Church that I really loved!

Our next stop is the larger town of ALTHOFEN

I had a good time there, and saw all I could, so we are now going to ST. VEIT AN DER GLAN

Pretty as a picture, is how I would describe
MARIA WORTH, where there are a couple of beautiful old Churches in a pretty location.

DAY 4....

Today, we are travelling through scenic countryside and pretty small Villages.

We stop at a pretty Church at GNESAU it was lovely inside and out.

We continue our lovely drive to the Town of EBENE REICHENAU from where we will go a little further and enter the Nockbergs National Park.

Later, we head along a beautiful valley with Mountains surrounding us, this is the stunning
HOHE TAUERN NATIONAL PARK.

There is a lot of scenic locations in this park, so we attempt to see a few in our limited time.

Now we are stopping at another scenic location near KAPRUN.

I walked the Sigmund-Thun Klamm, a great walk, but with many, many steps.
I was glad to return to the car for a rest.

Our last stop for the day is at ZELL AM SEE, a lovely town beside a Lake.

DAY 5.....

Today, we are going to SANKT MARTIN BEI LOFER

Around this area, there are many gorges and lovely scenery.

We make another stop, this time at SAALFELDEN AM STEINERNEN MEER

After my "batteries" have recharged in the car ride to TAXENBACH, we decided to stop so I can go walking the Kitzloch Gorge.

This was one fantastic Gorge!

We are now travelling 15kms to ALTENMARKT IM PONGAU where we are spending the night.

DAY 6.....

Today we are passing through beautiful Mountain scenery, stopping at some small Villages on the way, before arriving at TRAUTENFELS

Trautenfels Castle had wonderful views and a beautiful Chapel and gorgeous surrounding scenery.

We followed one of these scenic roads to our next town, which was BAD AUSSEE

Time to move a short distance to the DACHSTEIN ICE CAVES

Our next stop is HALLSTATT, a town I have heard about from many people.

DAY 7......

After a good nights sleep at Bad Goisen, we are going to BAD ISCHL

Bad Ischl had many beautiful buildings to see, but time was limited, and so we drove alongside the Lake to TRAUNKIRCHEN

What a great little Village this was, one I loved!

Now we are just going for a short drive to GMUNDEN Another town on Lake Traun. I enjoyed Gmunden, but once again we had to move on.

This time it was through beautiful countryside, until we reached the town of KREMSMUNSTER where there is a beautiful Abbey that I want to visit!
The Abbey was fantastic, about the best I have seen.

Our next stop is STEYR. I loved this town, so historical, so much to see, I did the best I could in the time I had.

From here, we had a lovely drive beside the Danube River to GREIN where we found a B&B and stayed the nice. It was a beaut little town, quiet in the evening, different I believe when tourist boats arrive on the Danube. I just loved that the Danube was beside the town.

DAY 8

After a good night we depart, following the Danube. The drive is very pretty and interesting, as we see small and large towns along the way.

Our destination is MELK ABBEY, but we do stop at a few places before reaching there. Melk Abbey is definitely a MUST VISIT! We loved it!

Time to move on, and what a lovely drive we have following the Danube until we stop at DURNSTEIN.

This was a lovely old town to walk around, one I enjoyed. Now we are going to HORN.

Our last town for Day 8, is EGGENBURG
Quite a nice town, and we found a good Pension to stay at.

DAY 9..... After enjoying a good breakfast at our Pension, we are in the car and heading to RETZ
Retz was a real surprise, and a town that I really liked.
Now we are continuing our journey in the CZECH REPUBLIC

We have finished touring the Czech Republic, and are now crossing back into Austria and making a stop at FREISTADT ...then ST. GILGEN, and finally SALZBURG before heading into GERMANY.

• In a nutshell:Lots of beautiful scenery and towns.
  • Last visit to Austria: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2013

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Austria

• 1,271 Photos

Have you been to Austria?

Latest Activity in Austria