"SARLAT-LA-CANEDA" Top 5 Page for this destination Sarlat-la-Canéda by balhannah

Sarlat-la-Canéda Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 263 photos

Where to begin!

This town is so lovely with it's narrow, cobblestone streets, I could hardly tear myself away!

I read that it is besieged by tourists at almost all times of the year,

so how lucky was I, that we decided to stay here, and I managed to explore

the town with very little people around!

I loved wandering the old town, seeing the golden yellow stone on the
medieval and renaissance buildings in the early morning sunlight.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and I really think you would be hard to please if you didn't.

A lovely old, medieval city.

After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town

• Pros:Pretty town, with plenty to see
  • Cons:Have read, it can be extremely busy!
  • In a nutshell:Do go and walk the medeival part of the city, a must do!
  • Last visit to Sarlat-la-Canéda: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Looks like a lovely town, I am so fond of narrow streets - and I look up as well when I am travelling :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Great tips

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed sharing in your exploration of this interesting old town! The Place Des Oies looks especially pretty and I love all the old lamps and narrow streets :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Another lovely town! It?s good that the 2-star hotel in Avenue de la Dordogne even offered bicycle rentals for their guests.Another lovely town! It?s good that the 2-star hotel in Avenue de la Dordogne even offered bicycle rentals for their guests.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

My god, what a cute village!! Very interesting story about Lantern des Morts. Which reminds me that I don't know why I haven't sent you to Eberbach Monastery (near Bingen), because that is also a Cistercian one, founded by Bernard de Clairvaux.
    La Rouque Gageac - what a fantastic beautiful village! Oh and sooo cute bears :-)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hi Dee. I'm really enjoying your Sarlat pictures. BTW, did you know there is loads of free parking if you go up the hill behind the Hotel Madeleine? There are free parkings on both sides of the road and one side is shaded by beautiful pink chestnut trees. Love it.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Both Sarlat and La Rouque Gageac looks very pretty! Sounds like you had a lovely visit.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Hi Dee,
    I loved this town as well and you've captured the niceties of Sarlat well on your pics.

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Sarlat-la-Canéda

Have you been to Sarlat-la-Canéda?

Latest Activity in Sarlat-la-Canéda