"WHICH COUNTRY DO I BELONG TO!" Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg by balhannah

Strasbourg Travel Guide: 902 reviews and 2,685 photos

Photo- Notre Dame Cathedral @ Strasbourg

Strasbourg, 2,000 years ago, and it was the Romans who were here!

Originally a Roman camp, it served as a fort to protect their legions from attacks from the rear as they advanced towards the Elbe.
The streets of this small and fortified area built on a marshy island on the River Ill later became the city of Strasbourg.

Strasbourg, has belonged to France and Germany over the years.

Strasbourg became an independent city in 1262 with the fall of the Roman Empire.
1871, Germany - France's next-door neighbour invaded France in the Franco-Prussian War and declared Strasbourg as German.
1918 and WWI, Strasbourg belongs to France again.
WWII, June 1940, Germany took over again.
November 23, 1944, Strasbourg was officially liberated and returned to France.

Strasbourg holds the reputation for being one of the most beautiful cities in all of France.

I AGREE, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL CITY TO SPEND TIME IN!

Strasbourg can be explored by BOAT, by PETIT TRAIN, by PUSH BIKE and walking with an AUDIO GUIDE or without one!

Let me show you some of the sights of Strasbourg.

We will start from when we leave our Hotel, the Comfort Hotel, which is about 15mins from the city centre by Tram.

We caught the Tram into the Homme de Fer, the main Tram station in the city, and from there we headed into the Place Kleber and on further.

So join me, my virtual friend as we explore Strasbourg.......

We have only scratched the surface of this city, so if you come to see it for yourself, allow at least a couple of days

If your following my 2013 journey through Europe, then we are leaving Strasbourg & France, and are crossing the River Rhine into GERMANY.
Our first town we stop at is BUEHL

• Pros:Beautiful old city
  • In a nutshell:Allow a few days, there is lots to see!
  • Last visit to Strasbourg: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2013

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Thank you Dee for bringing back memory about this wonderful city with its famous Cathedral and half-timbered houses in Petite France. You've really explored not only the surface of this city and presented the fundamental VT-job.

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Thanks Dee. My only experience of Strasbourg is being stuck in a traffic jam for an hour or two. It is definitely worth a look around, the cathedral is an interesting building!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Enjoyed your page Dee. Plenty to do and see in Strasbourg and when weary look for a fantastic afternoon tea. we enjoyed 4 nights August'12. Did aday trip to Colmar, a fantastic town

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Thanks for your great page!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM

The Cathedral is ever so beautiful and I love the houses here :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jun 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

It's one of the best you could see. There is so much more to see inside, that I have photo's of but haven't written about.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I have to say I was a bit amused by the mixture of French and German here. The Cathedral is magnificent, a bit of a surprise.thanks for the tour

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
      Jun 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

that was a place that went back and forth between being german and french for hundreds of years if i remember correctly

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I have found out it was and just put it in my intro. Amazing how many times it went back and forth.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Strasbourg

Have you been to Strasbourg?

Latest Activity in Strasbourg