"VITRE - ANOTHER MEDIEVAL TOWN" Vitré by balhannah

Vitré Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 66 photos

Vitre....How could I not love it, as when on entering the town this is what greeted me.

Vitre is listed as a Historic Heritage town and still has many of the 15th & 16th century buildings intact.

During that period, it was one of the most powerful towns in Brittany.

As soon as spring arrives, entertainment & festivals begins.

After reading these pages, if you wish to continue your journey through France with me, please click on the link for the next Town.

CRAON

• In a nutshell:Walk the old town, it is lovely!
  • Last visit to Vitré: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2012

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM

What amazing architecture - I am absolutely loving these old little towns. Too bad the castle was closed.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Gorgeous in my eyes too! I loved this town, the crooked houses, the cobblestoned laneways and the Castle!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM

that looked wonderful, all the crooked houses, so nicely maintained. churches looked lovely,,,,stained glass must have been something special. well done dee!

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

It 's a gorgeus town. A pity the sun wasn't shining, but at least it wasn't raining.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM

WE came across Vitre on our first ever family holiday to France. Like you, we were enchanted with the fairytale atmosphere of the town and walked all round the centre. A great introduction to the delights of small-town France.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Coming from a "young" country, it was just what I wanted to see!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I love those little crooked houses in your opening photo - as you say, a great first sight of a town! And you are right about getting lost too - definitely the best way to explore a place such as this :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

HAha, walk and get lost - that seems to be the best way to experience these cute oh so cute little villages in Bretagne! My god, these houses are fantastic! I love how everywhere a little addition and gable are attached and.. of course the half-timbered stucturing!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 7:59 AM

What a fantastic looking place! I'm so sorry you couldn't get into the castle. If you like preserved medieval cities, you should check out my page for Santillana del Mar.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 4:01 AM

Quite a place this, isn't it? After seeing it when they were still quite small our children had no further wish to visit "theme" parks and such like!

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I don't think the sun ever shines here.

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Vitré