"GOLD AND MORE GOLD - SCHLOSS LINDERHOF" Schloß Linderhof by balhannah

Schloß Linderhof Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 336 photos

Linderhof Palace is located near the Ettal Abbey [worth visiting]

Of the three Palaces built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria, it is the smallest of the
three, and the only one which he lived to see completed.

Linderhof is a smaller version copy of Versailles.

The room's are lovely so I will tell you a little about them.................

I haven't been to Versailles, but after seeing this Hall of Mirror's, I imagine a larger scale Hall of Mirror's would be something to see!

Our guide told us Ludwig II used to sleep in the daytime and stay awake in the
night, so the mirrors reflected the light of the candles a thousand times making
it like daylight!

Some of the mirrors are placed in a way so it looks like an illusion of a never ending avenue.

How would you like an Ivory Chandelier and a carpet made out of Ostrich feather's? Different for sure!

The Eastern and Western Tapestry Chambers have walls painted to imitate the real Tapestries.

The Audience Chamber was never used to hold an audience.

The Dining Room, and here was a Pink Cabinet that the King used as his Robing room. This room is famous because of the disappearing "dumb waiter."

The [dumb waiter] table was installed so the King could dine alone.

The poor staff had to lay the table for at least four persons because it is said
that the King used to talk to imaginary people like Louis XV, Madame de pompadour or Marie Antoinette while he was eating.

Mmm! a bit weird!

After you have read these pages, if you would like to follow my trail around Germany, please click on next Town listed FUESSEN

• Pros:Was open until 6pm
  • Cons:Nil
  • In a nutshell:Great! A must see if you are in the area!
  • Last visit to Schloß Linderhof: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM

STUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNING :-) Wow, what a collection of pics! Well done, you ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Oh yes, I must come back in summer! When I was there (Oct.) they had already closed the fountains and wrapped all statues for winter.
    How was the guide's English, btw?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Jan 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Oh, you must go back! Gold overload in the Palace and beautiful gardens. This time we had a male tour guide, he was good too. We always seem to strike female guides.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Ludwig II was certainly eccentric, to say the least. But through his castles he made a substantial contribution to tourism in the 21st century.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

He certainly was! It was really nice to see, but how he could live with all the gold trimmings in his rooms, I don't know, too over the top for me, even if I had all his money!

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Wow--this really takes my breath away.

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Schloß Linderhof

Have you been to Schloß Linderhof?