"Sandakan Sabah" Top 5 Page for this destination Sandakan by balhannah
Sandakan Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 580 photos
To reach Sandakan, we caught and Air Asia flight from Kota Kinabalu.
The flight is short and quite scenic, especially looking over the ocean, and
seeing all the islands.
We were met at the airport and taken to the Sepilok Nature resort where
we were staying, and then in the afternoon, we were taken on a city tour
which was interesting.
We visited a water village where we were taken into one of the homes for
a look, it was quite nice inside, different to what I expected.
The next day, we went to the see the Orangutans which is a short walk
from our accommodation. A big male and two five year olds were hanging
around. To view them, you stand on an open platform and watch them
being fed and getting up to their antics, quite funny to watch!
A lot of people go to see them, so in peak season, it would be packed!
Later on, we left by boat for our trip up the Kinabatangan river.
We departed from the jetty in Sandakan, crossed the ocean and headed
into the Kinabatangan river. It wasn't look before we had our 1st close up
encounter of a male Proboscis monkey.
Sukau Lodge, which is basic, but to be expected , was our overnight
Late afternoon and another boat trip, this time up the Menanggul river,
where we saw lots of monkeys, snake, and hornbills in this quiet
On the way back in the early morning, we saw dozens of Proboscis
This was a very enjoyable trip, and one I could quite easily do again!
- Pros:Still not a lot of tourists
- In a nutshell:Bird & Wildlife watcher's Paradise!
The Sepilok Orang-Utan Rehabilitation Centre was set up as a means of housing injured or orphaned Orang-Utans, caring... more travel advice
We visited this lodge twice on our trip on the Kinabatangan River. (S.I. Tours) On the way up, we reached the lodge... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Sandakan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From Mount Kinabalu to Sukau"
- "Sandakan Sabah"
- "THE FORGOTTEN CITY HARBOUR"
- "Sandakan, home of Sepilok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandakan
- Hotels in Sandakan
- Transportation in Sandakan
- Nightlife in Sandakan
- Restaurants in Sandakan
- Shopping in Sandakan
- Warnings and Dangers in Sandakan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sandakan
- 14 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Sandakan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandakan
- Posted in Travel State of New South Wales Forum "Re: Gold Coast - Nambucca Heads"
- updated a Sandakan Travel Page "Sandakan Sabah"
- Wrote a Review SEPILOK ORANGUTAN REHABILITATION CENTRE in Sandakan Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "SEPILOK ORANGUTAN REHABILITATION CENTRE"
- Commented on one of mary2u99's Sandakan travel pages
Photos in SandakanSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue