"Sandakan Sabah" Top 5 Page for this destination Sandakan by balhannah
Sandakan Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 577 photos
SANDAKAN - SABAH
To reach Sandakan, we caught and Air Asia flight from Kota Kinabalu.
The flight is short and quite scenic, especially looking over the ocean and seeing all the islands and the coral reefs.
We were met at the airport and taken to the Sepilok Nature resort where we were staying, and then in the afternoon we were taken on a city tour which was ireally nteresting.
We visited a water village where we were taken into one of the homes for a look, it was quite nice inside, different to what I expected.
The next day, we went to the see the Orangutans which is a short walk from our accommodation. A big male and two five year olds were hanging around. To view them, you stand on an open platform and watch them being fed and getting up to their antics, quite funny to watch!
A lot of people go to see them, so in peak season, it would be packed!
Later on, we left by boat for our trip up the Kinabatangan river.
We departed from the jetty in Sandakan, crossed the ocean and headed into the Kinabatangan river. It wasn't look before we had our 1st close up encounter of a male Proboscis monkey.
Sukau Lodge, which is basic but to be expected , was our overnight accommodation. Late afternoon and another boat trip, this time up the Menanggul river, where we saw lots of monkeys, snake, and hornbills along this quiet river.
On the way back in the early morning, we saw dozens of Proboscis monkeys.
This was a very enjoyable trip, and one I could quite easily do again!
- Pros:Still not a lot of tourists
- In a nutshell:Bird & Wildlife watcher's Paradise!
The Sepilok Orang-Utan Rehabilitation Centre was set up as a means of housing injured or orphaned Orang-Utans, caring... more travel advice
We visited this lodge twice on our trip on the Kinabatangan River. (S.I. Tours) On the way up, we reached the lodge... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Sandakan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From Mount Kinabalu to Sukau"
- "Sandakan Sabah"
- "THE FORGOTTEN CITY HARBOUR"
- "Sandakan, home of Sepilok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandakan
- Hotels in Sandakan
- Transportation in Sandakan
- Nightlife in Sandakan
- Restaurants in Sandakan
- Shopping in Sandakan
- Warnings and Dangers in Sandakan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sandakan
- 14 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (457)
Have you been to Sandakan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandakan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of balhannah's Sandakan travel pages
- updated a Sandakan Travel Page "Sandakan Sabah"
- Wrote a Review SEPILOK ORANGUTAN REHABILITATION CENTRE in Sandakan Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "SEPILOK ORANGUTAN REHABILITATION CENTRE"
Photos in SandakanSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 253 reviews, 742 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 166 reviews, 319 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues