"KOTA KINABALU - SABAH" Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu by balhannah
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide: 1,106 reviews and 2,942 photos
This city has had a few name changes
First of all, is was named "Api" then "Jessleton" then "Api" again, when the Japanese army captured it. During the WW11, it was nearly demolished with only three buildings left standing after the bombings.
On 16th September, 1963, the area of North Borneo became known as Sabah, and in 1968 the city was renamed again to "Kota Kinabalu"
Malaysia day is celebrated on 16th September.
We flew into Kota Kinabalu from Brunei, only a 20 min flight with Brunei Airlines, but very a very expensive one~!
We stayed at the Beverley Hotel, this was a very good choice, an excellent hotel. Our room had a balcony and nice views.
Kota Kinabalu is a small city with some good cheap shopping centres, and if you can't find what you want, then there are markets to go to.
The Gaya street markets were excellent, plenty of choice there!
There are lots of upmarket resorts, some with beautiful golf courses, nice beaches, coral fish, and great countryside.
The islands off the coast, are nice for a day visit.
We visited a couple and thoroughly enjoyed our time on both of them.
We also hired a car, and went for a drive in the countryside, another interesting day as we happened to see the 1st Rafflesia flower in bloom for the year.
We visited the Head Hunters village, the Museum and so many other places, in all we had a great time in Kota Kinabalu!
- In a nutshell:A nice place for a holiday
We were driving along Jalan Penampang when we noticed a tall pagoda. Eventually, after weaving our way through many... more travel advice
The Hongkod Koisaan building in Penampang is home to the Kadazan-Dusun Cultural Organisation (KDCA). It hosts the annual... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- "Malaysian Borneo"
- "KK (as it is commonly known)"
- "KOTA KINABALU - SABAH"
- "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- "KK Has It All!"
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu
- Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
- Transportation in Kota Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Kota Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
- Shopping in Kota Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu
- 24 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (584)
Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu
Photos in Kota KinabaluSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 254 reviews, 744 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 134 reviews, 508 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 140 reviews, 463 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 173 reviews, 338 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 115 reviews, 288 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues