"SABAH & KOTA KINABALU" Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu by balhannah
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide: 1,058 reviews and 2,781 photos
This city has had a few name changes...............
First of all, is was named "Api" then "Jessleton" then "Api" again, when
the Japanese army captured it.
During the WW11, it was nearly demolished, with only three buildings
left standing after the bombings.
On 16th September, 1963, the area of North Borneo became known as
Sabah, and in 1968, the city was renamed again to "Kota Kinabalu"
Malaysia day is celebrated on 16th September.
We flew into Kota Kinabalu from Brunei, only a 20 min flight with Brunei Airlines, but very a very expensive one~!
We stayed at the Beverley Hotel, this was a very good choice, an excellent
hotel, we had a balcony and nice views from our room.
Kota Kinabalu is a small city with some good cheap shopping centres, and
if you can't find what you want, then there are markets to go to.
The Gaya street markets were excellent, plenty of choice here!
There are lots of upmarket resorts, some with beautiful golf courses, nice
beaches, coral fish, and great countryside.
The islands off the coast, are nice for a day visit.
We visited a couple and thoroughly enjoyed our time on both of them.
We also hired a car, and went for a drive in the countryside, another
interesting day, as we happened to see the 1st Rafflesia flower in bloom
for the year.
We visited the Head Hunters village, the Museum and so many other
places, in all, we had a great time in Kota Kinabalu!
- In a nutshell:A nice place for a holiday
We were driving along Jalan Penampang when we noticed a tall pagoda. Eventually, after weaving our way through many... more travel advice
The Hongkod Koisaan building in Penampang is home to the Kadazan-Dusun Cultural Organisation (KDCA). It hosts the annual... more travel advice
balhannah's Related Pages
Kota Kinabalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- "Malaysian Borneo"
- "KK (as it is commonly known)"
- "SABAH & KOTA KINABALU"
- "Of Mountains,Islands & Headhunters. Don't miss it!"
- "KK Has It All!"
- "Kota Kinabalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kota Kinabalu
- Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
- Transportation in Kota Kinabalu
- Nightlife in Kota Kinabalu
- Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
- Shopping in Kota Kinabalu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kota Kinabalu
- 24 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (242)
Have you been to Kota Kinabalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kota Kinabalu
Photos in Kota KinabaluSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 241 reviews, 689 photos, 12 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 192 reviews, 534 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 158 reviews, 291 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 92 reviews, 285 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maryborough Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 86 reviews, 280 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue