Bad Kreuznach Things to Do Tips by balhannah Top 5 Page for this destination
Bad Kreuznach Things to Do: 26 reviews and 60 photos
Bad Kreuznach was interesting to walk around, I just wish I had longer to see more!
Not only do you have to look up, but also on the ground. There were some interesting piece's.
Of course, there were the nice wrought iron sign's, and there were some very unusual face's on one of the building's.
Directions: Old town of Bad Kreuznach
St. Nicholas Church
The Catholic church of St. Nicholas on the egg market is the oldest religious building in the town. The Church was built in 1266, and originally was used as a Monastery church of the Carmelite Order.
If you can visit the interior, expect to see ornate carvings, grave cover plates with illustrations of earls and knights and wooden sculptures from the 15th Century.
The Egg Market is a square, surrounded by the church of St. Nicholas, half-timbered houses and the medieval Butcher's quarter. This was the market place for fruit, fish and pottery.
I really liked the house in my photo. Start's of small, and the higher the building, the wider it get's!
There are a lot of sculpture's too! These are a group of figures, showing how the master butcher Michel Mort Kreuznacher saves the town’s ruler, Count of Sponheim, during the battle of Sprendlingen in the year 1279.
St. Paul's Church
The St. Paul Lutheran Church is located on an island, close to the canal and mill. For many year's, it was the only building in the city near the old bridge, on the other side were Cattle pastures.
This Gothic style Bascilica, was consecrated in 1332, and originally dedicated to Jesus' mother Mary and St. Kilian.
In 1689, it was destroyed by the troops of French King Louis XIV, so was rebuilt in 1781 as best as possible to its original design, including the 61 metre high Tower, built in the baroque style of 1780.
Tombstones from the Middle Ages can be seen.
HAVE YOU HEARD OF KARL MARX?
Karl Marx and Jenny von Westphalen married here on the 19th June, 1843.
Address: Kurhausstrasse 2, Bad Kreuznach
Two Bridge House's
The Bridge house's are something you shouldn't miss seeing in Bad Kreuznach, infact, they were my favorite sight in the Town!
These house's, which now are Shop's, some in need of attention, were built in 1480 because of a housing shortage.
The old bridge, built around 1300, was near the intersection of two highways, and then served as a part of the city walls.
Ingrid and I viewed them from several point's, and I think this is a must do!
We went down to the edge of the River Nahe and viewed them from here, I thought this was the best view.
Then it was time to walk along the Bridge, and to see what their front's looked liked.
Would be nice to see them preserved as a part of the Town's history!
balhannah's Related Pages
Bad Kreuznach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Kreuznach, lovely setting & marvellous hiking"
- "BAD KREUZNACH - KUR TOWN FOR THE KAISER"
- "BAD KREUZNACH"
- "Bad Kreuznach, a spa town worth seeing"
- "The amazing 'Brueckenhauser'"
- "Ad Opticum - optician in one of the bridge houses"
- "Sleepy Bad Kreuznach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Kreuznach
- Hotels in Bad Kreuznach
- Transportation in Bad Kreuznach
- Restaurants in Bad Kreuznach
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Kreuznach
- See All...
Explore the World
- East Hampton
- Sidcot Hotels
- Baker Ridge Hotels
- Nhava Hotels
- Luhuitou Hotels
- Salton Sea Beach
- Vila Franca do Campo
Badges & Stats in Bad Kreuznach
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Bad Kreuznach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Kreuznach
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 225 reviews, 615 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 150 reviews, 276 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 91 reviews, 280 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kangaroo Island Intro, 81 reviews, 289 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 81 reviews, 258 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 256 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide Intro, 93 reviews, 242 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 85 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 76 reviews, 206 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 60 reviews, 196 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (229)
Latest Bad Kreuznach hotel reviews
- Hotel am Holzmarkt
- 1 Review & Opinion