"THE HISTORICAL OLD TOWN OF BAD WIMPFEN" Bad Wimpfen by balhannah

Bad Wimpfen Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 247 photos

BAD WIMPFEN - WHAT CAN I SAY - GO AND GET LOST IN THIS TOWN - IT'S THE BEST WAY TO SEE IT!

Bad Wimpfen is a historic spa town located beside the River Neckar, in the Baden-Wurttemberg region of southern Germany.

Bad Wimpfen the city, is divided in two. On the hill is the town centre, and in the valley is the "old Wimpfen."

Bad Wimpfen dates from the Neolithic and the Bronze Age. Some archaeological finds reveals Bad Wimpfen was on an old trade route which forked here, one road going to Nurnberg and the other to Ohringen.

Around 450 B.C., Celtic tribes settled here, they are believed to be the first!

As this city is so old, there is plenty of history and historic buildings to be seen.

Bad Rappenau is 5kms away and is worth a visit.

Even though I saw heaps here, there still was more to see.....
Like the Collegiate church that looked more like a Castle than a Church.............
I wished I had more time, but I didn't, we had to be at NURNBERG for the night.

• Pros:Easy to walk around
  • Cons:Up and down hill, so take your time walking
  • In a nutshell:A must see!
  • Last visit to Bad Wimpfen: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2013

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2014 at 4:59 AM

That's one of my favourite towns, I like to go there at least a few times a year. Thank you for the virtual walk.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Oh! I envy you being able to do this! I would do the same if I lived in Germany. I could see there was so much more there, but my husband said time to move on, so I had to leave with the memories I had.
      I think it's one of the prettiest German towns.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

What a lovely town to wander around in!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Thanks for your detailed description of all those sights....Bad Wimpfen is certainly worth visiting ....

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Loved the Iron House and the Blue Tower best of all! I would also climb it up to see the magnificent view over the city.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Nov 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Sergey! Such a wonderful town for people like me and you! Yes, What a view from the Blue tower, well worth the climb.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

The Crucifixion statue in this little place is one of the most poignantly appealing portrayals I have seen. We just spent half a day here, but loved it. Thanks for visiting my Amboise page. When I went to look at your travel pages, Bad Wimpfen jumped out at me. Not many VTer's seem to have visited, but what a treasure!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 5:42 AM

I just love the name of this town!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Badges & Stats in Bad Wimpfen

Have you been to Bad Wimpfen?

Latest Activity in Bad Wimpfen