"Chimayo" Chimayo by sherita
Chimayo Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 87 photos
Chimayo is located about 24 miles northeast of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The story of the Chimayo Shrine goes something like this: A friar saw a light on the hill side an went to investigate. He began digging in the place where he had seen the light and found a crucifix. A local priest took the crucifix to Santa Cruz three different times but it always wound up back in the same hole in Chimayo. People realized it was meant to stay and build a chapel on the spot. This is when the miraculous healings began and the current shrine was built.
The crucifix is still house in the wooden alter inside the shrine.
In a small room in the shrine is a sand pit. The sand is said to have miraculous healing powers. There's a small plastic shovel in the pit for people to use to scoop up the sand to take to sick relatives and friends. Next to the sand pit is a room full of pictures of people, crutches, paintings drawings, and other hand made items. Possibly offerings of thanks.
- Cons:A little off the beaten path
sherita's Related Pages
Chimayo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacred Soil & Plastic Madonnas"
- "A place of pilgrimage"
- "El Santuario de Chimayo"
- "El Santuario"
- "Basaic Chimayo Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chimayo
- Nightlife in Chimayo
- Restaurants in Chimayo
- Shopping in Chimayo
- Warnings and Dangers in Chimayo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chimayo
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Chimayo?Share Your Travels
Top 10 Pages
- Cocoa Beach Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Corpus Christi Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Silver City Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 3 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 3 photos
- Orlando Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 3 photos
- Galveston Intro, 3 photos
- Cape Canaveral Intro, 3 photos
- Zion National Park Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.