Cuyabeno Packing List Tips by dtimoske Top 5 Page for this destination

Cuyabeno What to Pack: 4 reviews and 1 photos

How much money to bring

Miscellaneous: Although tours are all-inclusive, you'll want to have about $50-$60 on hand. Many tours pass through indigenous communities, and they charge $1 to watch them in action. I personally don't like this. I feel it's intrusive. While it was interesting watching them make pan de yuca, I felt awkward at the same time. The visit to the shaman will also cost 1 or 2 dollars and 5 to 10 dollars for ayahuasca. This kind of eco tourism helps supports the communities where the oil companies have failed them.

In addition you'll want to bring money to tip the guides. In our tour we had a guide, a cook, and a driver. I tipped the guide $20 and the cook and driver $10 each. I would have tipped a little more because I thought they all did such a great job, but I didn't have any more money. One couple tipped the guide $100 and the cook and driver $20 each. This may be a little high, but if you think your guide did a great job, tips are completely at your discretion.

• Written Dec 30, 2007
Pack light

Luggage and bags: Don't bring your finest luggage. A hiker's backpack is your best bet. Also bring a lot of zip lock bags. I brought 8 and wished I had more. Things you want to keep dry: your passport, your camera, some clothes for the last day, your medicine.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring long socks, light clothing, lightweight hiking pants, 5 or 6 shirts with at least two long sleeve shirts, a swim suit, an extra pillow, an old towel. Bring a large zip lock bag to put some of your clothes. Despite all the precautions the the guides take, your things ARE going to get wet. It sure was nice having a dry set of clothes for the 10 hour bus ride back home.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring toilet paper, vitamin B pills, Advil (especially if coming from Quito), anti-malaria pills. Bring a couple small bottles of water just in case of emergency.

Photo Equipment: Bring lots and lots of batteries. There are not outlets to recharge your equipment. Bring zip lock bags for your electronics. Bring your zoom lens if possible. The largest, most exotic birds are high up in the trees and hard to photograph without a zoom. I brought my video camera and was glad I did.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Rubber boots and ponchos are absolutely essential. Your tour should provide these things. Bring Duck tape (keep it dry) to repair any holes in mosquito nets. My pocket knife came in handy on several occassions as well. You'll also want plenty of sun screen and mosquito repellant. When you use the repellant, use it all over your body, not just the exposed areas.

Miscellaneous: Whatever you do, don't overpack for this trip.

• Written Dec 30, 2007

dtimoske

“Low budget is always more fun”

Badges & Stats in Cuyabeno

Have you been to Cuyabeno?

Latest Activity in Cuyabeno