"Camping in Cuyabeno" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyabeno by dtimoske

Cuyabeno Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 84 photos

Camping in Cuyabeno

Camping in Cuyabeno was an absolutely incredible experience. I would recommend it over staying in the lodges because it allows you the freedom to move along the river and stay where you want. During the 9 days in Cuyabeno, we floated along the river in our life vests, we swam with pink river dolphins, met with a shaman, fished for piranhas, spotted a Harpy Eagle, awoke a sleeping anaconda (not recommended), hiked in the jungle both day and night, and spotted tons of wildlife. I have hiked the Andes, marveled in the falls of Iguazu, taken in the nightlife of Buenos Aires, but so far this experience in the jungle tops everything I've done.

Anaconda

We found an anaconda sleeping on the banks of the river. One of the guys in our group wanted to get a picture with the anaconda, but got a little to close. The anaconda sprung to life and came towards the group. Our cook turned and leaped back on the boat while a couple of the others were frozen in shock. The anaconda slithered into the water under the boat leaving a trench in the mud at least 6 inches deep.

Tips for mosquitos

While I recommend taking the anti malaria pills and using plenty of repellant, I was given some extremely helpful advice from a doctor. Take vitamin-b pills. Apparently vitamin B gives your body an odor that the mosquitos don't like and they stay away. How effective was this? In the nine days I was in the jungle, I was not bitten a single time by a mosquito! In fact all I received were two sand fly bites on the back of my hand. Everyone else on the tour were bitten several times despite their using tons of repellant. Vitamin B Comlete.

• Pros:A surreal environment, lots of wildlife, great adventure
  • Cons:Sand flies on the beach
  • In a nutshell:A life changing experience
  • Last visit to Cuyabeno: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2007

dtimoske

“Low budget is always more fun”

Badges & Stats in Cuyabeno

Have you been to Cuyabeno?

Latest Activity in Cuyabeno