"Scenic Sumatra" Sumatra by daddygila
Sumatra Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 99 photos
To me the most striking thing about Sumatra were the people. A egalitarian sense pervades the society. People always went out of their way to say hello to this BULE!!!
Sumatra is an island with an extraordinary wealth of natural resources, abundant wildlife, astonishing architecture and massive rivers. It is also home to people of diverse cultures: the former head-hunters and cannibals of the Batak regions; the matrilineal Muslim Minangkabau; and the indigenous groups of the Mentawai islands who, until early this century, had little contact with the outside world.
Sumatra is almost four times the size of neighboring Java, but supports less than a quarter of the population. During Dutch rule it provided the world with large quantities of oil, rubber, pepper and coffee. Its seemingly inexhaustible resources continue to prop up the Indonesian economy today.
Lush, tropical, volcanic the landscape of Sumatra is never boring.
From the "Bull Horned" roof ornaments of government buildings and old palaces to the well maintained family gravesites some curiously interesting monuments abound.
- Pros:Friendly people, interesting culture, scenic
- Cons:Transportation is torture !!!
- In a nutshell:A delightfully interesting place to visit
This is the largest lake in South East Asia. Breathtaking views abound. more travel advice
daddygila's Related Pages
Sumatra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wild and Marvelous Land of Sumatra"
- "Scenic Sumatra"
- "Land of monkies and nasi goreng"
- "Beautiful Island, But..."
- "Home of the Orang Utan"
- "Roadtrip: Jakarta - Padang"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sumatra
- Hotels in Sumatra
- Transportation in Sumatra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sumatra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sumatra
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sumatra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sumatra
Top 10 Pages
- India Intro, 9 reviews, 177 photos, 13 travelogues
- Indonesia Intro, 2 reviews, 117 photos, 7 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 6 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 2 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mount Kisco Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 34 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- California Intro, 28 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos