"The Sweet County Clare" Top 5 Page for this destination County Clare by donpaul77

County Clare Travel Guide: 708 reviews and 1,909 photos

A little more wild

"My heart tonight is far away across the rolling sea
In the sweet Miltown Malbay, it's there I'd love to be
So long ago and far away but nothing can compare
My heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare."
-Andy Irvine

County Clare is my favorite County in Ireland. Clare is special in that it may be a bit more wild than, though equal in beauty to the more popular Kerry. When I'm in East Clare I feel like Ireland has wrapped her arms around me. While East Clare is rich in natural beauty, the West Coast is absolutely striking. From Loop Head, across the Burren and to the Cliffs of Moher, the sights of West Clare will burn themselves into your mind.

A little more music

Throughout Clare, traditional music is abundant. Many people will say that Clare is the home of Irish music. Who can argue with the County that hosts the Willie Clancy festival and music school???

Just a little more

County Clare is also abundant in off the beaten path discoveries, especially in the east, where there are few tourists creeping around (They're all in Kerry, and at the Cliff of Moher, getting run of the road by tour buses). I'll try to tip you off to a few of these things, but most of them you'll have to find for yourself!

• Pros:Combines the rugged and the lush with the music and the hsitory
  • Cons:None
  • Last visit to County Clare: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2008

• Mar 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Great information, and very well written.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Excellent tips - wish I had read some of them prior to my 2005 trip, but will definitely file away for my next trip!

• St_Vincent's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Good page and good pub tips. Looking forward to your London page when it's finished to see what pubs you discovered there. Cheers, Clive

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Hi Donpaul, Some useful tips here which will help during our 10 days in Ireland this August.

donpaul77 Visits Here Frequently!

donpaul77

“"...if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."”

Badges & Stats in County Clare

Have you been to County Clare?

Friends