"Petrópolis Cidade Imperial" Top 5 Page for this destination Petrópolis by besbel
Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos
Petr?polis (the town of Peter) is located in northen Rio de Janeiro. It was founded in 1843 by mayor Julio Koeler under the auspices of Emperor Peter the II. It was built over the land that his father, Peter the I, bought in 1830, seduced by the weather and location in the mountains. The city was meant to be the vacation town of the royal family, composed at that moment by the Emperor, his wife Teresa Cristina, and daughters Isabel and Leopoldine. The most prominent aristocrats of the time also built palaces in this city for vacational purposes.
Soon after his foundation, Petr?polis became one of the most important cities in Brazil, politically speaking. A great part of Brazilian history has transcurred in here.
In their palaces and public places most political decisions were discussed (before being executed in Rio de Janeiro). It was also the capital of the State of Rio de Janeiro during a short time (1894-1903).
Now Petr?polis is more than a small, classy town located in the middle of the mountains. It's one of the must see while being in Rio de Janeiro. Its beauty, historical treasures and own traditions made me realize that it had an own personality. A personality forged in the mountains, with a mix of European immigration' initiatives and Brazilian enthusiasm. I loved it!
- Pros:Historic places, beautiful surroundings
- Cons:It's colder than other places in RJ
- In a nutshell:A true Imperial gem!
After touring Petrópolis for the whole morning and having a delicious lunch at O Paladar, Estrela Guia (located in... more travel advice
Urbanistic Desing! Petrópolis is a city that manages to let you know even in the streets their imperial past and their... more travel advice
besbel's Related Pages
Petrópolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- "Petropolis - Imperial City"
- "b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures"
- "Imperial history..."
- "Petropolis: The Imperial City"
- "Mangueirense's Petropolis Page"
- "Petropolis - the Imperial City just 53 km from Rio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petrópolis
- Hotels in Petrópolis
- Transportation in Petrópolis
- Restaurants in Petrópolis
- Shopping in Petrópolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Petrópolis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petrópolis
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Petrópolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petrópolis
- updated a Petrópolis Travel Page "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "The Opal and Tenderloin area"
- Commented on one of rui_bijie's Petrópolis travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "For the Perfect Dessert :)"
- Wrote a Review For the Perfect Dessert :) in Petrópolis Restaurants
Photos in PetrópolisSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 36 reviews, 68 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San José Intro, 30 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arequipa Intro, 24 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petrópolis Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bùzios Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Interlaken Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Lausanne Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Grindelwald Intro, 4 reviews, 1 photo
- Buenos Aires Intro, 1 review, 1 photo