Los Barriles Off The Beaten Path Tips by ViajesdelMundo
Los Barriles Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 12 photos
The Hotel from our boat
Eight miles north of town, on a cliff overlooking the Sea of Cortes' is the verrrry romantic, PUNTA PESCADERO HOTEL, which is one of the oldest in the area. Back in early 1930s, 40s and 50s, the Hollywood Actors would fly down to sport fish and do their serious partying and rendezvous'. Such as John Wayne, Desi Arnez, Bobby Mitchum, Bing Crosby, Martin & Lewis and who knows who else!!
The hotel has changed hands many times and each time gets a make-over. But the bar area is large and comfortable with unequalled views in the entire BAJA SUR! --- be sure to look at their website below!!
Driving north of town is also a special experience for most, as the coast road (see photos) is dirt about half the distance, often hugging the shoreline, and one needs to keep their attention around each bend.
(This is also the road to my casa, as I live just 2 miles shy of the hotel.)
TROPIC of CANCER
On the road between San Jose' del Cabo and Los Barriles, at LATITUDE 23, there is a big, round white ball which marks the 'Tropic of Cancer'.
It is unusual to find the ball totally white, as it is often covered in grafitti, hence the fence around it, and it is constantly being repainted.
At the same location, there is a shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe. Also, there is a small cafe', but I do not know if it has regular hours.
ANCIENT CAVE PAINTINGS
ABOUT 18 MILES NORTH OF LOS BARRILES, ON THE UNPAVED COAST ROAD, NEAR BOCA del ALAMO, YOU TURN LEFT TOWARD THE MOUNTAINS AND HIKE BACK ABOUT A MILE OR SO, AND THERE ARE THESE CAVE PAINTINGS. IT IS NOT KNOWN HOW OLD THEY ARE. YOU COULD NOT FIND THEM WITHOUT BEING ASSISTED BY A LOCAL TELLING YOU WHERE TO GO.
IT IS HOT, DRY, SCRUBBY LAND, AND ONE NEEDS TO BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT SNAKES, SCORPIONS, ETC., AS WELL AS BEING PROTECTED FROM THE SUN AND TAKING WATER. CAN BE GOOD FOR A PICNIC, IF PREPARED!
More Reviews (35)
- See All Your WEDDING in MEXICO on the BEACH!
- See All TOP of the Heap in this Little Town
- See All HOME-MADE CHOCOLATES!!!
- WIND & KITE SURFING CAPITAL
- See All Dia de la INDEPENDENCIA! VIVA MEXICO!!!
ViajesdelMundo's Related Pages
Los Barriles Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Los Barriles
- Hotels in Los Barriles
- Transportation in Los Barriles
- Restaurants in Los Barriles
- Shopping in Los Barriles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Barriles
- See All...
Explore the World
- Langata Rongai Hotels
- Kruger National Park Hotels
- Departamento de Lempira
- Mooresville Hotels
- Mohanlalganj Hotels
- Niagara Falls
- Outer Towns and Suburbs
- Berlin Off The Beaten Path
- Mumbai Off The Beaten Path
- Unique / Unusual / One-Of-A-Kind
- Santa Cruz Off The Beaten Path
- Musee Nissim de Camondo
- Jacksonville Off The Beaten Path
- Hanoi Off The Beaten Path
- Norwich Off The Beaten Path
- United States of America Off The Beaten Path
- Switzerland Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Los Barriles
- 38 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Los Barriles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Barriles
- Posted in Travel San Miguel de Allende Forum "Re: Bus Fares"
- Commented on one of ViajesdelMundo's Los Barriles tips
- Wrote a Review Your WEDDING in MEXICO on the BEACH! in Los Barriles Things to Do
- updated a Los Barriles Travel Page "LOS BARRILES, BAJA SUR"
- Uploaded a Video to Los Barriles
- Uploaded a Photo to "COLDEST BEER/BEST BURGERS in TOWN!"
Photos in Los BarrilesSee All Photos (105)
Videos in Los BarrilesSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Barriles Intro, 38 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Le Puy-en-Velay Intro, 8 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Oaxaca Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fos Intro, 4 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 4 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Amman Intro, 4 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beaune Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues