"LOS BARRILES, BAJA SUR" Los Barriles by ViajesdelMundo

Los Barriles Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 117 photos

ISOLATION IN PARADISE

We are isolated only because we live several miles north of town on a dirt road, which crosses 2 wide arroyos (washes) and then a 2-1/2 miles stretch along a mountain-slide area. On the other side of the road is the Sea of Cortes'! Los Barriles, itself, is not so isolated.

In fact, many more Gringos/Norte' Americanos are coming down, building second/winter homes, or moving here full-time, as we did almost 20 years ago.

'LB' is only about 50 minutes drive north of the airport (SJD) which serves CABO SAN LUCAS, and is much less developed and laid back; much closer to what it was 25+ years ago; our streets still roll up early in the evening! BUT, we are currently seeing a lot of improved infrastructure, such as the main road through town being paved and with curbs, as well as a center yellow line!! We also had another new plaza open up, with a SECOND BANK!! (When we first moved here, even Cabo and La Paz, didn't have ATMs) Also there are a couple new little restaurants in town and the local hotels are upgrading their kitchens with new chefs.

In addition to the peace and tranquility, basically, we have most of the comforts here, without the crime or pollution or noise, etc. etc. If you live here and find yourself at the grocery checkout without your wallet, or enough money, you can just sign their book and pay later!

I get my worst 'Culture Shock' when I go to the United States!! Too many people, too many big buidlings, no one seems to know or want to know anyone else. Here and elsewhere in Mexico it's so easy to make new friends along the way, through your day; both locals or visitors.

When departing on a trip, it is also a luxury to go out of a small airport, but have international flights to choose from. We have good connections to Europe, Asia and South America.

Locally, of course, there are many different things to do besides the world-class fishing and other water sports, desert exploration, elbow-bending, etc.

Also, here are a couple links for other perspectives on Los Barriles. I personally know all the people who own these various businesses and can vouch for their integrity:

WHALE-WATCHING FROM THE CASA

AN ADDED BENEFIT OF LIVING HERE IS GETTING TO SEE THE PASSING SEA LIFE!
We have a couple seals who live in the area, and sometimes they camp out in front of our house, barking! It is wonderful! except that they aroused the neighbors dog, and it starts barking too...........

Sometimes we have had the spectacular sight of watching several Humpback whales breaching right off from our casa! It is extremely deep (I believe near 1,000 feet), so over the years we have had many times that they put on a real show right in front of us!! We don't usually see the migrating whales here; but we also have pods of indigenous, smaller, black whales, which pass by regularly.

This agave bloom was right in front of our living room window. In this photo you can see the nearly FULL MOON RISING!

• Pros:Small, tucked away
  • Cons:Growing
  • In a nutshell:An almost perfect place to live!
  • Last visit to Los Barriles: Mar 2014
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2014

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM

What a charming place to live Trish! I enjoyed the tour!

• Poppy28's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Very interesting eading

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM

in honor of the recent election, i have retired the five year old image of my beloved tiffany and replaced it with a harbinger of the future ( my own picture, btw ).

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
      Nov 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM

well, at least I should recognize you when we eventually meet!! GREAT pic! we are awaiting our dear Ginger Meggs passing, monitoring his discomfort; 16-yrs 7 mos old now and we didn't think he would see 16.

• Wisedancer's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Love to visit some day.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
      Sep 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I know, and me to get to visit you too; but then, I have already been to YOUR area a couple times, so maybe you should think about coming here, maybe via Mexico City!! so exciting and I could meet you there and we could fly over together!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Wow Trish! You are very lucky to live in such a gorgeous place. Enjoyed your travelogue and sunset video :o) Stunning! Hugs, Ann.

• swissfondue's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

You do live in a beautiful part of the world.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Great pages on Los Barriles..restaurant heaven--Tio Paolos sounds good.

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Home-made chocolates...sounds good:)

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM

It is hard to imagine to be able to go out and see the wonderful beaches daily and take in the sun and fun. You have a very nice place to live, and the presentation is very good.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Thanks alot, I find Los Barriles very nice place, your country is very far to me, but i hope can visit Mexico.

ViajesdelMundo Lives Here!

ViajesdelMundo

“Psalm 27:1”

Badges & Stats in Los Barriles

Have you been to Los Barriles?

Latest Activity in Los Barriles