"LOS BARRILES, BAJA SUR" Los Barriles by ViajesdelMundo
Los Barriles Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 117 photos
We are isolated only because we live several miles north of town on a dirt road, which crosses 2 wide arroyos (washes) and then a 2-1/2 miles stretch along a mountain-slide area. On the other side of the road is the Sea of Cortes'! Los Barriles, itself, is not so isolated.
In fact, many more Gringos/Norte' Americanos are coming down, building second/winter homes, or moving here full-time, as we did almost 20 years ago.
'LB' is only about 50 minutes drive north of the airport (SJD) which serves CABO SAN LUCAS, and is much less developed and laid back; much closer to what it was 25+ years ago; our streets still roll up early in the evening! BUT, we are currently seeing a lot of improved infrastructure, such as the main road through town being paved and with curbs, as well as a center yellow line!! We also had another new plaza open up, with a SECOND BANK!! (When we first moved here, even Cabo and La Paz, didn't have ATMs) Also there are a couple new little restaurants in town and the local hotels are upgrading their kitchens with new chefs.
In addition to the peace and tranquility, basically, we have most of the comforts here, without the crime or pollution or noise, etc. etc. If you live here and find yourself at the grocery checkout without your wallet, or enough money, you can just sign their book and pay later!
I get my worst 'Culture Shock' when I go to the United States!! Too many people, too many big buidlings, no one seems to know or want to know anyone else. Here and elsewhere in Mexico it's so easy to make new friends along the way, through your day; both locals or visitors.
When departing on a trip, it is also a luxury to go out of a small airport, but have international flights to choose from. We have good connections to Europe, Asia and South America.
Locally, of course, there are many different things to do besides the world-class fishing and other water sports, desert exploration, elbow-bending, etc.
Also, here are a couple links for other perspectives on Los Barriles. I personally know all the people who own these various businesses and can vouch for their integrity:
AN ADDED BENEFIT OF LIVING HERE IS GETTING TO SEE THE PASSING SEA LIFE!
We have a couple seals who live in the area, and sometimes they camp out in front of our house, barking! It is wonderful! except that they aroused the neighbors dog, and it starts barking too...........
Sometimes we have had the spectacular sight of watching several Humpback whales breaching right off from our casa! It is extremely deep (I believe near 1,000 feet), so over the years we have had many times that they put on a real show right in front of us!! We don't usually see the migrating whales here; but we also have pods of indigenous, smaller, black whales, which pass by regularly.
This agave bloom was right in front of our living room window. In this photo you can see the nearly FULL MOON RISING!
- Pros:Small, tucked away
- In a nutshell:An almost perfect place to live!
This is the restaurant attached to our town's anchor hotel, LAS PALMAS. The food is upscale, but then, so are the... more travel advice
For the past couple yrs (2011 and 2012), the local Windsurfers hold an International Competition in January: LORD OF... more travel advice
- See All Your WEDDING in MEXICO on the BEACH!
- See All Dia de la INDEPENDENCIA! VIVA MEXICO!!!
- TWO REASONS for LEFT TURN SIGNAL
- See All Go to Punta Pescadero Resort Hotel for a...
ViajesdelMundo's Related Pages
Los Barriles Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Los Barriles
- Hotels in Los Barriles
- Transportation in Los Barriles
- Restaurants in Los Barriles
- Shopping in Los Barriles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Barriles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Barriles
- 38 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Los Barriles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Barriles
- Posted in Travel Cancún Forum "Re: Rainy season"
- Commented on one of ViajesdelMundo's Los Barriles travelogues
- updated a Los Barriles Travel Page "LOS BARRILES, BAJA SUR"
- Wrote a Review Your WEDDING in MEXICO on the BEACH! in Los Barriles Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Los Barriles
- Uploaded a Photo to "COLDEST BEER/BEST BURGERS in TOWN!"
Photos in Los BarrilesSee All Photos (105)
Videos in Los BarrilesSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Barriles Intro, 38 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Le Puy-en-Velay Intro, 8 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Estado de Oaxaca Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fos Intro, 4 reviews, 48 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Kandy Intro, 4 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 4 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Amman Intro, 4 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues