"Rantepao - Tana Toraja" Rantepao by vinceckw
Rantepao Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 297 photos
Arrive: 04 Dec 2009 Depart: 06 Dec 2009
Rantepao is a town in Tana Toraja Regency, which is known for the cultural center of Toraja ethnic group. National and regional tourism offices have developed the city as the starting point for visiting Tana Toraja, since the area was opened for tourism in 1970s.
Tana Toraja Regency (Torajaland, Land of the Toraja or Tator) is a regency (kabupaten) of South Sulawesi, Indonesia, home of Toraja ethnic group people. The local government seat is in Makale, where the center of Toraja culture is in Rantepao. But now, Tana Toraja has been divided to two regencies that consist of Tana Toraja with capital is Makale and Toraja Utara with capital is Rantepao.
Tana Toraja boundary was determined by the Dutch East Indies government in 1909. In 1926, Tana Toraja was under the administration of Bugis state, Luwu. The regentschap (or regency) status was given on October 8, 1946, the last regency given by the Dutch. Since 1984, Tana Toraja has been named as the second tourist destination after Bali by the Ministry of Tourism, Indonesia. Since then, hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors have visited this regency. In addition, numerous Western anthropologists have come to Tana Toraja to study the indigenous culture and people of Toraja.
vinceckw's Related Pages
Rantepao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rambu Solo, Solo Traveller"
- "TANAH TORAJA - Sulawesi"
- "Tana Toraja - The Charming of Torajan Highland"
- "TANAH TORAJA"
- "Amazing Torajaland"
- "Rantepao - Tana Toraja"
- "Tomate: Torajan Funeral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rantepao
- Hotels in Rantepao
- Transportation in Rantepao
- Nightlife in Rantepao
- Restaurants in Rantepao
- Shopping in Rantepao
- Warnings and Dangers in Rantepao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rantepao
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Rantepao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rantepao
Photos in RantepaoSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Solo Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Bandung Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Dalian Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Yogyakarta Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Xiamen Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 3 photos
- Rantepao Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Pulau Mabul Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.