"Eppingen - A Timberframe Tutorial" Eppingen by Kathrin_E
Eppingen Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 147 photos
Eppingen is one of those places where the unsuspicious tourist is totally stressed because s/he doesn not know which photo to take first! There are picturesque views in abundance round every corner.
Eppingen advertises as "town of timberframe" and this isn't exaggerated. This small town, hardly known beyond its immediate surroundings and totally off the beaten path, is a treasure chamber full of fine half-timbered houses. It would be a perfect location for a tutorial on this type of construction because it assembles a variety of styles in excellent quality.
Eppingen is one of the very rare places in this region that escaped all the wars. This lucky town has neither been burned to ashes in the 30 Year War of 1618-1648, nor burned to ashes by the French in the Palatinate Heritage War in 1689, nor smashed to pieces in World War II. In other words, there is authentic architecture that has been preserved since the late middle ages. The oldest half-timbered houses date from the 15th century.
Even more, the town's authorities have taken the effort to display and explain. On the way from the station you can walk along a trail with 1:1 models of construction details. In town all the important buildings have a board with background information and entertaining stories. More details can be learned in the museum in the Old University.
The skyline, as you see it first thing from the station, is already promising. Pfeifferturm and the steeple of the catholic church are teh peaks, surrounded by half-timbered gables and tile roofs. The old town covers a hill, so topography adds to the view.
Explore, and have the camera ready...
This is a small but cute detail on a half-timbered house: a pair of fish-shaped creatures - it takes *some* imagination... more travel advice
This extraordinary medieval fresco inside the church is a bit hidden and easily overlooked. Seeing such 'creatures from... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Eppingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eppingen - A Timberframe Tutorial"
- "A Wombat in Eppingen"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eppingen
- 20 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Eppingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eppingen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues