"Essen, Cultural Capital 2010" Top 5 Page for this destination Essen by Kathrin_E
Essen Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 783 photos
A long weekend in Essen? Huh?? Yes I did, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to go back. The Ruhr District is, to me, the most underrated region in Germany. Since the end of coal mining in the 1980s the region underwent a profound change. The old image of a dirty industrial zone simply isn't true any more.
Essen is not exactly what I'd call a beautiful city, at least the city centre isn't. However, Essen is what I call an interesting city with a rich cultural heritage and a long history back to the foundation of the convent in 852. It is a surprisingly green city. To me it's the most fascinating city in the Ruhr district and surroundings. I am inclined to rate Essen much higher than for example snobby Düsseldorf, I never understood the hype about the latter. Essen is down-to-Earth, well aware of its background as a mining and industrial city, and at the same time a vibrant cultural centre on a high level of quality.
Zollverein mine is the flagship since it was promoted to the status of UNESCO World Heritage. But there is more, much more to see. Museums, worker settlements from the early industrialization, church treasures from the early middle ages, museums, art collections and theatre, the landscapes along the Ruhr river and the lakes - and 52 other cities in close vicinity, connected by a dense public transportation network.
Essen's modern opera house is not only a top class theatre but also a masterpiece of architecture. The history of its... more travel advice
Essen's opera house offers excellent opera and ballet (while plays are done at Grillo Theatre and concerts in the... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Essen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Essen, Cultural Capital 2010"
- "Center of the Ruhr Area Industrial Complex"
- "Opera and cycling (and coal-mining) in Essen"
- "Essentially Essen"
- "ESSEN KULINARISCH"
- "Welcome to Essen"
- "Industrial Beauty and green areas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essen
- Hotels in Essen
- Transportation in Essen
- Nightlife in Essen
- Restaurants in Essen
- Warnings and Dangers in Essen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Essen
- 43 Reviews
- 219 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Essen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Essen hotel reviews
- Hotel Bredeney
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Mintrops Stadt Hotel Margarethenhohe
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Hotel Korn
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Ibis Essen
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Lindenhof
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Mercure Plaza Essen Hotel
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013