"Esslingen" Top 5 Page for this destination Esslingen by Kathrin_E
Esslingen Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 239 photos
Esslingen is one of those rare towns in Germany that escaped World War II unharmed. This lucky fate results in a well-preserved old town with impressive half-timbered houses and a lot of specials.
Esslingen is located in the Neckar valley a bit upstream from Stuttgart. In other words, in a wine region. Even in old times the local people must have loved their wine. The town wall surrounds and protects not only the city itself but also the vineyard on the adjacent hillside.
Or should I say: the Kiwi Swabians? Esslingen saw a little private VT meeting. Kakapo2 and Kimi_the_Bear from New Zealand were visiting their old home in Swabia again. A chance for Russell_the_Wombat and me to meet them. We suggested Esslingen as a meeting point because we had heard a lot about it and long wanted to visit the place. A nasty train conductor caused a delay for the kiwis but they made it at last. The weather did not look favourable at first, so we sought refuge in an icecream parlour and chatted over some coffees. The mirrrors on the walls invitied for some photo experiments. However, we were lucky, the one shower stayed the only one and late in the afternoon we were rewarded with the most glorious sunshine.
Palmscher Bau belonged to the family von Palm, wealthy noblemen in Eslingen. The early 18th century houe, more a palais,... more travel advice
A Pfleghof - I cannot find an English translation - is an estate in a town that belonged to a clerical institution... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Esslingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval mixed with Modern"
- "Esslingen a hidden and unknown but beautiful town"
- "Sunny Esslingen"
- "Esslingen am Neckar"
- "Esslingen to go!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Esslingen
- Hotels in Esslingen
- Transportation in Esslingen
- Restaurants in Esslingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Esslingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Esslingen
- 21 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Esslingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esslingen
Photos in EsslingenSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues