"Freiberg, Always Snowy?" Freiberg by Kathrin_E
Freiberg Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 486 photos
Questions about "Freiberg" often show up in travel forums - usually the poster means Freiburg im Breisgau. So many people don't understand the difference between -berg and -burg (one of my pet peeves), which do not mean the same and are NOT pronounced the same. In this case, confusing them would mean some solid 8 hours of train travel, one way that is.
Anyway, I'd like to direct all those posters to this Saxon gem. Freiberg was founded as a mining town in the middle ages. Silver mining made the towns in the Ore Mountains rich. The amazing historical architecture of the old town is mostly well preserved and restored. Freiberg is one of those 'off the beaten path' places hardly anyone has heard of, although they deserve far more attention because of their beauty and their heritage.
After my first visit in March 2008 I had decided not to write a full page with tips about Freiberg, for a simple reason. I went there with a knowledgeable guide: VT member german_eagle. He showed me round and my tips would actually be his tips. So please check out his Freiberg page, too, if you want to know more about the town and its sights.
Right before Christmas 2009 I visited Freiberg again, only for two short hours in the evening as a stopover - I was returning to Dresden from the Ore Mountains - to see the Christmas market. It was already dark, so there was not much sightseeing possible. Again, too short. I did not think much of the Christmas market then but probably I was simply too tired after a long day on rails, wheels and feet to appreciate it.
To do this little gem of a town more justice I planned a two night stay during my Saxony trip in December 2010 to have a full day to play with. Again, sightseeing was a bit limited, though, this time due to heavy snowfall. Walking was tough. Under a blanket of 60-70 cm of snow the old town looked unreal and fascinating, though. More photos in the travelogues!
After this, I thought it was time to create a proper page about Freiberg.
In September 2011 I spent about 10 days in the Ore Mountains. This was a chance to visit Freiberg again in a season when the risk of snow is notably smaller than during my first three visits.;-) In fact it turned out to be a rather hot and summery day. Freiberg seemed a different town. The streets looked so much wider...
I came over for the day from Chemnitz, again to meet my VT friend german_eagle. We picked the second Sunday in September for a particular reason: This is European Heritage Day. Freiberg is known to have an abundant schedule of places to see that usually aren't open to visitors, like several historical houses in the old town which are offices or private homes. The cathedral allowed climbing on the galleries for unique views of the church interior - to me an unforgettable experience. In case you ever happen to be in the area over Heritage Day, Freiberg is an excellent destination.
One of the most beautiful renaissance houses in Obermarkt is Lißkirchnerhaus, built around 1530 and named after the... more travel advice
The "Upper Market Square" is the heart of the town. It is one of the few areas that are pedestrianized, in most other... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Freiberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freiberg in Saxony"
- "Freiberg, Always Snowy?"
- "Freiberg / Saxony"
- "Freiberg, sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Snowy Freiberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freiberg
- Hotels in Freiberg
- Transportation in Freiberg
- Nightlife in Freiberg
- Restaurants in Freiberg
- Shopping in Freiberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freiberg
- 12 Reviews
- 159 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (132)
Have you been to Freiberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freiberg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What if you died while abroad?"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Freiberg travelogues
- updated a Freiberg Travel Page "Freiberg, Always Snowy?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dom: More Art Treasures"
- Wrote a Review Mining around 1500: Portal of Lißkirchnerhaus in Freiberg Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues