"Freiberg, Always Snowy?" Freiberg by Kathrin_E

Freiberg Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 411 photos

Questions about "Freiberg" often show up in travel forums - usually the poster means Freiburg im Breisgau. So many people don't understand the difference between -berg and -burg (one of my pet peeves), which do not mean the same and are NOT pronounced the same. In this case, confusing them would mean some solid 8 hours of train travel, one way that is.

Anyway, I'd like to direct all those posters to this Saxon gem. Freiberg was founded as a mining town in the middle ages. Silver mining made the towns in the Ore Mountains rich. The amazing historical architecture of the old town is mostly well preserved and restored. Freiberg is one of those 'off the beaten path' places hardly anyone has heard of, although they deserve far more attention because of their beauty and their heritage.

After my first visit in March 2008 I had decided not to write a full page with tips about Freiberg, for a simple reason. I went there with a knowledgeable guide: VT member german_eagle. He showed me round and my tips would actually be his tips. So please check out his Freiberg page, too, if you want to know more about the town and its sights.

Saxon Siberia, December 2010

Right before Christmas 2009 I visited Freiberg again, only for two short hours in the evening as a stopover - I was returning to Dresden from the Ore Mountains - to see the Christmas market. It was already dark, so there was not much sightseeing possible. Again, too short. I did not think much of the Christmas market then but probably I was simply too tired after a long day on rails, wheels and feet to appreciate it.

To do this little gem of a town more justice I planned a two night stay during my Saxony trip in December 2010 to have a full day to play with. Again, sightseeing was a bit limited, though, this time due to heavy snowfall. Walking was tough. Under a blanket of 60-70 cm of snow the old town looked unreal and fascinating, though. More photos in the travelogues!

After this, I thought it was time to create a proper page about Freiberg.

Finally Without Snow, September 2011

In September 2011 I spent about 10 days in the Ore Mountains. This was a chance to visit Freiberg again in a season when the risk of snow is notably smaller than during my first three visits.;-) In fact it turned out to be a rather hot and summery day. Freiberg seemed a different town. The streets looked so much wider...

I came over for the day from Chemnitz, again to meet my VT friend german_eagle. We picked the second Sunday in September for a particular reason: This is European Heritage Day. Freiberg is known to have an abundant schedule of places to see that usually aren't open to visitors, like several historical houses in the old town which are offices or private homes. The cathedral allowed climbing on the galleries for unique views of the church interior - to me an unforgettable experience. In case you ever happen to be in the area over Heritage Day, Freiberg is an excellent destination.

• Last visit to Freiberg: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2011

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2011 at 4:24 AM

Wonderful page and great pictures with all the snow. Great treasures in this town, excellent descriptions/explanations. Yep, there's plenty of outdoor seating on the squares in summer.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Freiberg

Have you been to Freiberg?