"Freudenstadt" Freudenstadt by Kathrin_E
Freudenstadt Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
Freudenstadt was founded in 1599 by Duke Friedrich I. of Württemberg who planned to build his new residence here on top of the Black Forest heights. His architect Heinrich Schickhardt designed a geometrical ground plan which is still visible in today's town map.
The square central marketplace is surrounded by parallel streets with rows of uniform houses. In the middle of the square the duke's palace was intended to be built - which was not carried out due to political changes a and the failure of Friedrich's attempt to extend his territory further West.
Freudenstadt was heavily affected by World War II air raids. The reconstruction after the war followed the original plan but changed some details in the appearance of the houses.
The most particular of the town is the L-shaped parish church along one corner of the square.
The new town hall in a corner of the market square is a post-war addition, it was planned by the municipal architect... more travel advice
The church contains a remarkable work of art that is much older than the church itself: the Romanesque Freudenstadt... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Freudenstadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the midst of the Black Forest"
- "Freudenstadt in the wet"
- "Freudenstadt- im Schwarzwald"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freudenstadt
- Transportation in Freudenstadt
- Restaurants in Freudenstadt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freudenstadt
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Freudenstadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freudenstadt
Photos in FreudenstadtSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues