"Görlitz - A Forgotten Jewel" Görlitz by Kathrin_E
Görlitz Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 959 photos
Görlitz looks as if it has been forgotten by the 20th century. Neither the World War nor Socialism has done significant damage to the old town. It has simply been left the way it was.
For which we can be glad!!!
Buildings were in the state of decay but they are still there. Görlitz's old town with its historical houses, many of them of medieval origins, has survived. Not only the facades but complete houses with their interiors.
Around the old centre we find huge, still complete and intact late 19th century quarters, a bit further to the outskirts the town has just as huge and just as intact art nouveau (Jugendstil) quarters. There is hardly any other city or town in the whole of Germany that compares with Görlitz.
Already in DDR times, dedicated monument conservators fought for the preservation of this invaluable cultural heritage. Since the German reunification a lot of restoration work has been done. Almost four thousand buildings in town are listed as protected monuments - four of them are shown on this stamp which was issued in 2003.
The result is a unique jewel, a 'must' for anyone who is interested in architecture and history.
My first visit was only a day trip from Dresden in 2008. One day just isn't enough. So I planned another visit for next December, staying for four nights this time, to see more of the town and its surroundings and to take in some Silesian Advent atmosphere. Again, not enough...
The Holy Sepulchre is a medieval copy of the holy sites in Jerusalem. In 1464 the mayor Georg Emmerich was forced to do... more travel advice
The late gothic Church of St Peter and Paul with its two spires is the main church in town and a predominant landmark,... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Görlitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lesson In Architecture"
- "Gorlitz - on the way to somewhere"
- "Welcome to Görlitz"
- "The most eastern city in Germany"
- "On Finding Gems Unplanned: Görlitz"
- "Görlitz - A Forgotten Jewel"
- "A wonderful weekend in Goerlitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Görlitz
- Hotels in Görlitz
- Transportation in Görlitz
- Nightlife in Görlitz
- Restaurants in Görlitz
- Shopping in Görlitz
- Warnings and Dangers in Görlitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Görlitz
- 29 Reviews
- 141 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Görlitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Görlitz
Photos in GörlitzSee All Photos (141)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 431 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues