Goslar Shopping Tips by Kathrin_E Top 5 Page for this destination
Goslar Shopping: 5 reviews and 7 photos
A legend tells of a goldsmith who fell in love with the Duke's daughter. The duke got angry and imprisoned him. The princess, however, begged her father to release her lover. The father promised to do so and even allow him to marry his daughter if the goldsmith managed to make a goblet from which two persons can drink at the same time without spilling a single drop.
The goldsmith created a portrait of his beloved, whose skirt had the shape of a beaker. The arms of the figure hold a second turnable beaker. By turning the figure upside down, both beakers can be filled and drunk from.
So the bridal goblet was invented. This craft originates in Nürnberg. Goblets of this kind were already made in the 16th century. When the jeweller Julius Schäfer moved from Nürnberg to Goslar in the mid-19th century he brought this craft with him. The family workshop has been making these goblets for five generations.
What to buy: If you need a special and symbolic wedding gift, here it is.
Even if you don't want to buy anything, these goblets on display in the shop are pretty to look at.
The jeweller owns a collection of at least 500 historical wedding goblets which is shown in different museums.
What to pay: Prices vary, depending on material and size. Here is the shop's website.
Directions: next to the tourist information on the eastern side of the market square, opposite of the old town hall
Witches on sale
What to buy: Witches belong in the Harz. The Brocken, the highest mountain in the Harz, is, according to legends, the Blocksberg where the witches assemble on their broomsticks to dance during Walpurgisnacht, the night from April 30 to May 1.
Witch dolls have become the No. 1 Harz souvenir. They come in all sizes, from keyrings to the size of a small child. You'll find them in any souvenir shop around the whole Harz.
Directions: An assembly of souvenir shops can be found around market square and along the way to Kaiserpfalz.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (24)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Goslar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Goslar: Old Town Jewel"
- "The most beautiful city in Lower Saxony"
- "Picture-perfect medieval town!"
- "World Heritage mountain city"
- "My Goslar page..."
- "Goslar - a historic mining town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goslar
- Hotels in Goslar
- Transportation in Goslar
- Restaurants in Goslar
- Shopping in Goslar
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pulau Sibu Kukus Hotels
- Sefton Park Hotels
- Madonna di Campiglio
- Almaty Hotels
- Andahuaylillas Hotels
- Dalmatia - Zadar Region
Badges & Stats in Goslar
- 26 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Goslar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goslar
Photos in GoslarSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 427 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues