"Goslar: Old Town Jewel" Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar by Kathrin_E
Goslar Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 293 photos
Goslar, situated at the foot of the Harz mountains, is one of the three UNESCO World Heritage towns to visit in this region. Silver and copper from the mines in the adjacent Rammelsberg made the town rich and caused the medieval Emperors' interest in this place. In the 11th century the imperial palace (Kaiserpfalz) was built.
Goslar gained the status of an imperial city which was dependent on the Emperor alone and no other prince. Five medieval churches, the town hall, several guild halls and magnificent houses give testimony of the citizens' pride and wealth.
The old town luckily escaped World War II bombings and has been preserved extremely well. If you want 'postcard Germany' with half-timbered houses and cobblestone lanes, you'll find it in Goslar. Leave the beaten path and explore the side streets.
As you see in my photos, I visited first on a frosty but sunny winter's day. Some updates are based on a second visit in August 2013.
This type of fortificatory tower is, sort of, the "discount" version. They were built along the city walls, appearing as... more travel advice
Goslar's most glorious past dates back to the 11th and 12th century. So when during the 19th century interest in the... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Goslar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Goslar: Old Town Jewel"
- "The most beautiful city in Lower Saxony"
- "Picture-perfect medieval town!"
- "World Heritage mountain city"
- "Goslar - a historic mining town"
- "My Goslar page..."
- "Goslar---more as a Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goslar
- Hotels in Goslar
- Transportation in Goslar
- Restaurants in Goslar
- Shopping in Goslar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goslar
- 27 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Goslar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goslar
Photos in GoslarSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues