"Goslar: Old Town Jewel" Top 5 Page for this destination Goslar by Kathrin_E

Goslar Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 293 photos

Goslar, situated at the foot of the Harz mountains, is one of the three UNESCO World Heritage towns to visit in this region. Silver and copper from the mines in the adjacent Rammelsberg made the town rich and caused the medieval Emperors' interest in this place. In the 11th century the imperial palace (Kaiserpfalz) was built.

Goslar gained the status of an imperial city which was dependent on the Emperor alone and no other prince. Five medieval churches, the town hall, several guild halls and magnificent houses give testimony of the citizens' pride and wealth.

The old town luckily escaped World War II bombings and has been preserved extremely well. If you want 'postcard Germany' with half-timbered houses and cobblestone lanes, you'll find it in Goslar. Leave the beaten path and explore the side streets.

As you see in my photos, I visited first on a frosty but sunny winter's day. Some updates are based on a second visit in August 2013.

• Last visit to Goslar: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2013

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Hi Kathrin, I have been to Goslar very often as a child and looked it up on VT to revive some memories, so I found your great page :-) Many memories came back to me, especially of the carillon and the Kaiserpfalz. I also remember my dad telling me about slate. Of course he also bought me a witch, and I had it for years, a real "Staubfänger" ;-) But your page also shows many hidden things I did not know about! Thank you!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

very nice page kathrin. and they even have a chapel named after me :O)

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Excellent page on a jewel that is (too) often overlooked. Loved the shopping tips, LOL!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Hi,very interesting and beautiful place!Thank you for sharing!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Hallo, Kathrin! Vielen Dank für Deine Seite!

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Goslar