"Karlsruhe" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe by Kathrin_E

Karlsruhe Travel Guide: 901 reviews and 4,143 photos

The approaching Euromeet 2008 convinced me to build my own page about Karlsruhe although there are already many others online - I seem to be the 147th VT member who lives here.

Anyway, an art historian's view may be a bit different. My favourite section are the "Off the Beaten Path Tips". I'd like to show you a number of lesser known attractions, hidden spots and some little but particular things to discover. Since I'm a photography addict I keep carrying my camera with me when I go for a walk and take pictures to share with you. The intro photo here is changed regularly whenever I have a new special picture.

I guess this page will never be finished. It will continue to grow whenever I have new pictures at hand. It's a scrapbook-like collection, and you are invited to explore both my pages and our city!

To make my scrapbook easier to navigate, I'm adding some "OVERVIEW" lists to the General Tips section, which contain summarizing lists of the museums in Karlsruhe, the major sights, the parks, sculptures, churches and other topics. If there is a tip about an individual entry, the whereabouts of the tip are stated in the list.

I stole the idea of the overview tips from german_eagle's Dresden page, who stole it from someone else...

Durlach

Being less than 300 years old, Karlsruhe is lacking that certain old town atmosphere which people associate with Romantic Germany. It exists, however, in the much older suburb of Durlach East of the city. Getting there takes 10 minutes by tram and is a worthwhile half-day trip.

My tips about this suburb are all in the "Things to do" section, marked "DURLACH" in the title.

• Intro Updated Nov 26, 2009

• Jul 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

We will be making our first trip to this area next week and we are interested in parking our rental car overnight at the train station because we are taking the train to Paris for a day of sight-seeing and will be returning the next evening. I am looking for information about parking our car at the station, what fee there might be for parking, and how secure the parking is. Could you tell me about that or tell me where to find that information? Thank you very much.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
      Jul 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hi thrush, I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask because I do not drive. Depending where you are staying, leaving the car there and taking public transport to the train station might be an option?

• Jul 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Thank you for replying so promptly. We won't be staying in Karlsruhe when we return from Paris, but in a village about 1/2 hour drive away, so your suggestion is not an option. I was told by a person from that village that we could park in Karlsruhe while we travel to Paris; however, no details were given and our plans are in place for flying to Frankfurt, renting a car, and driving to Karlsruhe to take the train to Paris. I will keep looking for the answer to this question. The train station website says parking is available but gives no details. I see from another reviewer that lockers are available in the station for luggage, but it says 24 hour lockers. If we put our luggage that we aren't taking to Paris in a locker instead of leaving it in our rental car, it will need to be there for 33 hours, so we'd like to know if that would be okay too. Perhaps we will have to call the train station from our home here in the US before we leave and hope that they speak enough English to understand our question and answer accurately. Thanks for listening.

• nomad7890's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Kathrin, your Karlsruhe pages are a real joy! Looking forward to my third trip in December. I think the Medieval Christmas Market in Durlach was off that same tram stop you recommended?

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2011 at 1:30 AM

The Dambedei is called "Grittibänz" here.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I really like the idea of this Christmas Market. It seems that everyone and everywhere has a market for Christmas now. It is good to have them be unique in some way.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM

LOL, funny vehicle and parking spot!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Hi Kathrin. Enjoyed a rummage around your Karlsruhe pages.....Looking for pix of the big meet mate! ....Did you no go? Anyway, we hope to visit next year before the big Paris meet. Hopefully we'll meet up. Cheeers, Ann :o)

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Hi - it was so nice meeting you this weekend and we had a really good time. A holiday in the area next year is in our thoughts and of course next year hopefully there will be another gluhwein weekend! hugs Margaret

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Lovely pages, wouldn't mind visiting the Natuarl Science museum. Regína Hrönn

• nomad7890's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM

What an outstanding picture of the palace at night! Beautiful! I see (and now remember) the church. Thank you Kathrin.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2008 at 2:49 AM

I'll have to try the vegetarian restaurant next nevember. Ciao!

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Karlsruhe

Have you been to Karlsruhe?

Latest Activity in Karlsruhe