"Euromeet 2012 Premeet in Kempten" Top 5 Page for this destination Kempten by Kathrin_E
Kempten Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 251 photos
In May 2012 Kempten saw one of the premeets before the big Euromeet in Bergamo. Many thanks to gubbi1 for organizing this meeting! We had a busy schedule over three and a half days, first seeing Kempten, then a day trip to Breitachklamm and Oberstdorf including a hike to Alpe Dornach, and another day trip that took us to Ottobeuren, the Carthusian monastery in Buxheim and Memmingen. Of course the long weekend also involved various encounters with Bavarian gastronomy. Then we set out to the second premeet in Molveno in the Dolomites.
We were a small bunch of participants: himalia11 and her husband, gubbi1 as organizer and guide, Russell_the_Wombat and yours truly.
It wasn't just us, though. There were two VA's travelling with me, Kakapo2 and Kimi_the_Bear, and cachaseiro and longsanborn with gubbi1, so we were quite busy keeping the group together, especially when a beer garden was in sight...
Kempten is the central town of the Allgäu, a region in the Southwest of Bavaria on the edge of the Alps. It is one of the oldest cities in Germany, with a history that dates back to the ancient Romans 2000 years ago. Medieval Kempten was centered around the Benedictine abbey, but the growing city managed to achieve the status of a free imperial city. From then on there were two Kemptens, both independent territories within the Holy Roman Empire. The abbey and large parts of the city were refurbished in the 17th and 18th century, so there is a lot of baroque architecture. The predominant colour is white!
Old Kempten is historically and topographically divided into two independent cities and states with the same name. A... more travel advice
Erasmus chapel is an almost mystic underground place. You won't see it if you don't know where it is. All that's visible... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Kempten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my hometown"
- "VT meeting in Kempten"
- "Euromeet 2012 Premeet in Kempten"
- "Kempten in Bavaria"
- "Bonio's visit to Kempten"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kempten
- Hotels in Kempten
- Transportation in Kempten
- Restaurants in Kempten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kempten
- 20 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Kempten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kempten
Photos in KemptenSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues