"Konstanz - Old Town Surprise" Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz by Kathrin_E

Konstanz Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 792 photos

Everyone is talking about Meersburg but unfortunately many Bodensee visitors miss Konstanz. The old town in Konstanz is an overlooked gem. It can, in its quality and state of preservation, be compared to the towns in lucky Switzerland which have seen neither war nor destruction for 200 years.

There are an amazing number of houses with authentic medieval origins. Entire streets, entire quarters are preserved in their historical appearance. There are a few modern architectural ‘sins’ but they do not seriously disturb the picture.

Konstanz is an excellent base to explore the lake region if you are dependent on public transport. Local trains run all around the lakes. Boat cruises take you also to those places along the lakes that do not have train stations.

Some tips on day trip options are to appear in the "Off the beaten path" tip section while all tips on Konstanz itself are in the "Things to do" section.

• Last visit to Konstanz: Jul 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Kathrin, I enjoyed seeing you again this afternoon at the VT meeting in Frankfurt.
    Somehow I had never read your Konstanz page before – very interesting! I never knew about the tactic they used to avoid being bombed in the Second World War.
    My only visit to Konstanz up to now was a day trip from Meersburg. I went over in the morning on the boat and then returned to Meersburg that same evening.

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Fantastic pictures very nice..

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Looks nice Kathrin :o) Love the Parade pix! Looking forward to visiting on our way out of Zurich. Hugs, Ann xx

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM

My goodness, that fire was truly devastating! Horrible.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM

that's way I am moving to Offenburg next month , I will have a direct train to Konstanz every hour

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2010 at 6:24 AM

I like Konstanz a lot and have taken many photos on my last visit but was too lazy to update my page. You have a great page here!

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Konstanz

Have you been to Konstanz?

Latest Activity in Konstanz