"Germany" Germany by Kathrin_E

Germany Travel Guide: 57,022 reviews and 168,473 photos

More than Fußball and Bier, Lederhosen and Dirndl

Summing up "Germany" in one page is hard to do. There are so many different things, landscapes and places to see - from the North Sea tidelands to the Bavarian Alps, from the romantic Rhine and Mosel valleys to the treasures of Saxony, from the dark hills of the Black Forest to the white chalk cliffs of Rügen.

This page is supposed to contain (patience please) some general tips on the country, its customs, public transportation and similar.

NEW - The circle is finally completed: The "Local customs" section explains holidays, traditions, customs and events throughout the year. Please click "Member's Choice" to view them in chronological order.

For individual locations, please check out my location pages.

• Intro Updated Jan 7, 2013

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Enjoyed reading this page. I learnt a lot about your country and I found that it is in some aspects quite similar to Portugal, namely those connected to Catholic church. Although we typically only celebrate Easter (Friday and Sunday, Monday is a regular working day) and then Corpus Christi. I agree with you about Halloween, it's one of the global economy things that I don't like. And I found the first day of school tradition so cute (and commercial, ...)! We don't celebrate it, but I agree with you, as a mom, that my oldest son's 1st day at 1st grade was memorable.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Eine super Seite!! Ich bin hängen geblieben, obwohl ich schon längst unterwegs sein sollte.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Na, da hast Du Dich ja selbst übertroffen. Unglaublich, was Du da alles zusammengetragen hast. Aber wo ist der Buß- und Bettag? Immerhin Feiertag in Sachsen.

• Robmj's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2009 at 1:52 AM

fantastic pages of Germany, if I should do such a job of my country NZ, only covered a little of Germany, will be back for visit, thanks

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Great Tips! Merry Christmas!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Very,very interesting page and hints.Great job!!!!Thanks!

Kathrin_E Used To Live Here!

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Germany

• 2,606 Reviews
  • 12,040 Photos

Have you been to Germany?

Latest Activity in Germany