"Silk And Velvet And Modern Art" Top 5 Page for this destination Krefeld by Kathrin_E
Krefeld Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 135 photos
This is no overview page about the town of Krefeld - all it contains are two Off the beaten path tips. These are, however, remarkable.
1. Silk And Velvet
Krefeld is Germany's most important centre of textile industry. Till the late 18th century the town was hardly more than a big village. Then the weaving of brocade, velvet, finest fabrics from gold threads, silk and wool caused a boom and rapid growth of the town.
The "House of Silk Culture", a former manufacture that produced church paraments and now a museum, presents the original old Jacquard looms in operation.
Krefeld's most astonishing collection of contemporary art, including lots of big names, is to be found... in a small 1970s catholic parish church in the suburb of Oppum. This is a normal parish with a plain normal suburbian community, and a very active priest who is in touch with both artists and sponsors. In 3 decades the community acquired a collection of (so far) 32 works of art of highest quality, from altar, crucifix and baptismal font to sculptures, reliefs, paintings and drawings. See some of them in the tip and the 3 Pax Christi travelogue pages.
A plain and modest 1970s brick church in suburbia - who would expect a remarkable collection of late 20th century and... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Krefeld Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Krefeld"
- "Krefeld, the City Where I Was Born"
- "krefelder zoo"
- "Silk And Velvet And Modern Art"
- "10eke's new Krefeld Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krefeld
- Hotels in Krefeld
- Transportation in Krefeld
- Restaurants in Krefeld
- Shopping in Krefeld
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krefeld
- 2 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Krefeld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krefeld
Photos in KrefeldSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues