"Oberwiesenthal" Kurort Oberwiesenthal by Kathrin_E
Kurort Oberwiesenthal Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 274 photos
Oberwiesenthal is most famous as a winter sports resort but has a lot of leisure activities to offer in summer, too. It is Germany's highest town at an altitude of more than 900 metres. We are very close to the Czech border, the meadows and ridges in the background belong to the Czech Republic.
Reaching Oberwiesenthal is already part of the adventure unless you choose to go by boring car. The train to Oberwiesenthal is a narrow gauge steam railway, so you can travel in nostalgic style and enjoy the landscape.
Oberwiesenthal's house mountain is Fichtelberg. The summit offers an amazing view of the Ore Mountains landscape. You could go up by car but there are less boring options, either hiking, or by cable car or chairlift. The big photo at the top of this page was taken from the cable car.
Those of you who know me better will also know that I am scared of heights. Yes I was really really brave, I took the cable car up!!!
Oberwiesenthal is a centre of skiing and it even has a ski jump. It was summer and there was nothing going on, but the... more travel advice
Oberwiesenthal's main connection with the outside world is the Fichtelbergbahn, a narrow gauge railway which has been... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Kurort Oberwiesenthal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kurort Oberwiesenthal"
- "Mountain Gateway to the Czech Republic and Dresden"
- "The highest point in eastern Germany"
- "My Kurort Oberwiesenthal"
- "A Brave Wombat in Oberwiesenthal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
- Hotels in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
- Transportation in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
- Restaurants in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
- 13 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Kurort Oberwiesenthal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues