"In Christmas Country" Kurort Seiffen by Kathrin_E
Kurort Seiffen Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 126 photos
If there is a region in Germany which deserves to be called "Christmas Country" it is Saxony, especially the Ore Mountains. If there is a place in the Ore Mountains which is connected with Christmas atmosphere and the making of those traditional Erzgebirge decorations, it is Seiffen. Seiffen's little yellow church appears in all sizes everywhere in woodcarvings and other crafts, it is probably the best-known building in Saxony after Frauenkirche in Dresden.
The place is, of course , most atmospheric in Advent. Christmas market stalls are put up along the streets. If there is snow and sunshine, even better. However, the shops sell their products all year round.
All over the Ore Mountains wooden toys and ornaments are made, but Seiffen is the best place for shopping. Every second house in the main street, and several in the back street, contains a shop that sells woodcarvings. In many, you buy right from the producer. Others are merchants that sell the products of several workshops, and some sell stuff that wasn't even made in the Ore mountains. When comparing styles you'll quickly notice the difference.
This candle holder is a very typical Ore Mountains product. Such candle holders are used instead of Advent Wreaths. On... more travel advice
Seiffen's so characteristic village church has become a popular model among woodcarvers. The little octagonal church... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Kurort Seiffen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In Christmas Country"
- " Kurort Seiffen "
- "Christmasland visited in August"
- "A Wombat in Seiffen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kurort Seiffen
- Transportation in Kurort Seiffen
- Restaurants in Kurort Seiffen
- Shopping in Kurort Seiffen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kurort Seiffen
- 15 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Kurort Seiffen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kurort Seiffen
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: I have a Nut Allergy, can..."
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Kurort Seiffen travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kurrende Singers"
- Wrote a Review Adventsleuchter - Advent Candle Holder in Kurort Seiffen Local Customs
- updated a Kurort Seiffen Travelogue "Impressions"
Photos in Kurort SeiffenSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues