Ladenburg Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kathrin_E
Ladenburg Off The Beaten Path: 5 reviews and 20 photos
The complex of three baroque houses outside the churchyard of the Bishop's Chapel served as orphanage until 1938. It was founded by Georg Friedrich Günther and his wife Anna. The inscription above the door which mentions the founders' names contains a chronogram, enlarged letters that, read as Roman numbers, sum up to the date 1769. The metal ties on the facade, shaped as numbers, state the year 1770.
The sculpture above the portal shows Saint Rochus with the plague-spot on his upper thigh.
The pretty yellow facade is well restored. The old well in front of it, now closed and the buckets planted with flowers, adds a lot to the picturesque appearance.
A dead-end lane off Färbergasse leads to and around this former seat of first a noble family, later the Jesuite order. Its origins lie in the middle ages, changes took place in the 16th century.
The property was fortified. The courtyard is closed off by a high stone wall with a gothic gate. The tower shows embrasures at the bottom and top.
The main building has already been restored. Reconstruction works are going on on the buildings in the background. The timberwork has been taken down. Moulded timbers will be substituted by new wood, then the construction will be rebuilt.
The "Tanners' Stairway" is a narrow passageway thet connects Cronbergergasse and Färbergasse. The buildings around are probably old barns and storages. At night this must be quite spooky...
The municipal library is situated in this yellow house next to Domhof. In front of the entrance a cute sculpture has been put up: a girl reading a book. She is lying on a bench, resting on one arm, and totally absorbed in her reading.
Lots of options for funny photos...
More Reviews (22)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Ladenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A sleepy town with lots of history"
- "The town of the half-timbered houses"
- "Ancient Roman Place"
- "LADENBURG, GERMANY"
- "A Wombat in Ladenburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ladenburg
- Transportation in Ladenburg
- Nightlife in Ladenburg
- Restaurants in Ladenburg
- Shopping in Ladenburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Ladenburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Le Rayol-Canadel-sur-Mer
- Fire Island Pines Hotels
- West Panama City Beach Hotels
- Solana Beach Hotels
- Liepajas Rajons Hotels
- South Haven Off The Beaten Path
- Great Gorge Adventure Pass
- Cornwall Off The Beaten Path
- Surrounding places and cities
- Vietnam Off The Beaten Path
- King's Lynn Off The Beaten Path
- Turkey Off The Beaten Path
- Eugene Off The Beaten Path
- Kathmandu Off The Beaten Path
- Cambridge Off The Beaten Path
- Peru Off The Beaten Path
- Spiez Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Ladenburg
- 26 Reviews
- 167 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Ladenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ladenburg
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Where to sightseeing from..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ancient Roman Remains: the Basilica"
- Wrote a Review Ancient Roman Remains: the Basilica in Ladenburg Things to Do
- updated a Ladenburg Travelogue "Elector versus Bishop, or: Cars versus Bikes"
- Commented on one of ViajesdelMundo's Ladenburg travel pages
Photos in LadenburgSee All Photos (167)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues