Ladenburg Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kathrin_E

Ladenburg Off The Beaten Path: 5 reviews and 20 photos

4 more images
Günthersches Waisenhaus - Ladenburg

Günthersches Waisenhaus

Günthersches Waisenhaus - Orphanage

The complex of three baroque houses outside the churchyard of the Bishop's Chapel served as orphanage until 1938. It was founded by Georg Friedrich Günther and his wife Anna. The inscription above the door which mentions the founders' names contains a chronogram, enlarged letters that, read as Roman numbers, sum up to the date 1769. The metal ties on the facade, shaped as numbers, state the year 1770.

The sculpture above the portal shows Saint Rochus with the plague-spot on his upper thigh.

The pretty yellow facade is well restored. The old well in front of it, now closed and the buckets planted with flowers, adds a lot to the picturesque appearance.

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Written Jun 17, 2009
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
4 more images
Jesuitenhof, gate - Ladenburg

Jesuitenhof, gate

Jesuitenhof and Jesuitengasse

A dead-end lane off Färbergasse leads to and around this former seat of first a noble family, later the Jesuite order. Its origins lie in the middle ages, changes took place in the 16th century.
The property was fortified. The courtyard is closed off by a high stone wall with a gothic gate. The tower shows embrasures at the bottom and top.

The main building has already been restored. Reconstruction works are going on on the buildings in the background. The timberwork has been taken down. Moulded timbers will be substituted by new wood, then the construction will be rebuilt.

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Jun 16, 2009
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
4 more images
Gerberstiege - Ladenburg

Gerberstiege

Gerberstiege

The "Tanners' Stairway" is a narrow passageway thet connects Cronbergergasse and Färbergasse. The buildings around are probably old barns and storages. At night this must be quite spooky...

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Written Jun 16, 2009
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse
3 more images
Town Library and the Reading Girl - Ladenburg
Town Library and the Reading Girl

The municipal library is situated in this yellow house next to Domhof. In front of the entrance a cute sculpture has been put up: a girl reading a book. She is lying on a bench, resting on one arm, and totally absorbed in her reading.
Lots of options for funny photos...

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Jun 14, 2009
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Online Now

Female

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 5 0
Forum Rank:
0 0 0 5 6

Badges & Stats in Ladenburg

  • 26 Reviews
  • 167 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 7 Comments
  • 5,606PageViews

Have you been to Ladenburg?

  Share Your Travels  

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)