"Arlesheim - On Basel's Doorstep" Arlesheim by Kathrin_E
Arlesheim Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 85 photos
Arlesheim is part of Basel's Speckgürtel, the area around the city where the wealthy people have built their affluent homes. It is a great place to live in this small, almost rural community, surrounded by hills and forests, but a 20 minute tram ride from central Basel. Locals claim Arlesheim is the most beautiful village of the Baselbiet.
Already in the past Arlesheim must have been attractive. When the Bishop of Basel had to leave the city after the reformation and find a new residence, he chose Arlesheim. That's why this village has a large baroque cathedral.
In the middle ages a noble family settled on the hill above the village and built Birseck castle.
To local nobility the village owes its other main attraction, the 18th century landscape park named Ermitage. It is an early example of English landscape gardening. Some of the small garden buildings still exist, also the general design with the three artificial ponds on the valley ground. A pleasant place to go for a walk.
The Goetheanum is strictly speaking in Dornach but just beyond the boundaries of Arlesheim and well visible from the... more travel advice
Ermitage park has, as the name implies, a hermitage and a resident hermit. The hermit's cell is a little chapel-like... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Arlesheim Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arlesheim
- 14 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Arlesheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arlesheim
Photos in ArlesheimSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues