"Leipzig" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig by Kathrin_E
Leipzig Travel Guide: 520 reviews and 1,115 photos
Leipzig has the largest train station, the ugliest monument, the most famous composer of the whole of Germany and beyond. In addition to that, it has the glory of being the place where the peaceful revolution started. This is not 100% fair because other places had their share of activities, too. However, Leipzig's Monday demonstrations made history and Nikolai church has become a symbol.
After the reunification Leipzig, like other cities in the east, had its problems - lots of repair work to be done, many inhabitants moving away because they lost their jobs here and got new ones in the West.
On the other hand, Leipzig with its large university has always been a lively city full of young people and a renowned cultural centre. Among Wessis the city quickly got the image of being the new "hip" and "in" place to live. During my final time at unversity in Marburg I knew at least a dozen people who either were dreaming of moving to Leipzig, or actually moved. Cost of living is affordable compared to other cities this size, cultural life of all kinds is in fullest swing, nightlife is trendy.
The beautiful renaissance oriel on the corner Grimmaische Straße/Nikolaistraße is a reconstruction. The house was... more travel advice
The double M, the symbol of Leipzig trade fair, is spinning round and round on top of the skyscraper next to the central... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Leipzig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Leipzig - petit Paris (Goethe's words)"
- "Opera and cycling in Leipzig"
- "For those about to Rock!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leipzig
- Hotels in Leipzig
- Transportation in Leipzig
- Nightlife in Leipzig
- Restaurants in Leipzig
- Shopping in Leipzig
- Warnings and Dangers in Leipzig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leipzig
- 35 Reviews
- 174 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Leipzig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leipzig
Photos in LeipzigSee All Photos (174)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues