"Lorsch" Lorsch by Kathrin_E
Lorsch Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 105 photos
Lorsch has been on my to-do-list for long and now I finally made it. This place is a must for anyone who is into history of architecture because of one rather small building: the Torhalle or Köngishalle, the gate to the grounds of Lorsch Abbey. This is maybe the best preserved example of Carolingian architecture in Charlemagne's entire territory. In 1991 it gained the status of UNESCO World Heritage.
Lorsch Abbey was founded in the 8th century and soon became one of the richest and most powerful Benedictine monasteries. Unfortunately not much else is left of the abbey buildings except this one gem. In addition to seeing the hall and the abbey grounds I recommend a visit to the museum centre next door.
As a monument with extraordinary historical significance the Gate Hall made it onto a common everyday postage stamp in the 1960s. The 20 Pfennig stamp was meant for postcards (oh my, those were the times) and showed up in everyone's letter box frequently.
The old town hall of Lorsch is a pretty half-timbered building, dated 1715. The ground floor is massive, the upper... more travel advice
A modern statue in the main street, not far from the Gate Hall and the museum centre, represent Saint Benedict, the... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Lorsch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lorsch and its Medieval Past"
- "A fantastic little town"
- "Home of UNESCO Site - Lorsch Abbey"
- "My City Lorsch and Kloster Lorsch"
- "World Heritage............."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lorsch
- 7 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Lorsch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lorsch
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues