"Marburg - My Home For 11 Years" Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn by Kathrin_E

Marburg an der Lahn Travel Guide: 209 reviews and 853 photos

The university town of Marburg is one of Germany's old town gems, although hardly known among visitors from overseas. The old town is at least as pretty as Rothenburg or Heidelberg, but without the crowds. I really wonder why this place is so little known. On the other hand, maybe I should keep quiet and be glad its charme is not yet ruined by mass tourism?

In 1988 I moved to Marburg to start my studies of art history. I had no idea I would stay, with a short interruption, until 2002. All in all I lived in this town for 11 years, a long and important chapter of m life. I loved it and still love it. Nevertheless it felt strange when I returned for a couple of days recently. It just isn't home any more...

Meeting one's past is an adventure. Those streets are so full of memories.

• Last visit to Marburg an der Lahn: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2009

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Marburg is a wonderful little gem hidden off the autobahn. I think the Feldmarshal is happy to call it 'home'. Thanks for the tips.

• Trikist's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

After reading your glowing comments about Marburg, we have tailored our next Advent trip to begin there. It will only be a couple days at the beginning of December. We can hopefully get a feeling for the town in that time. Gary (Trikist) and Esther

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Love these pages, Kathrin. I've got Marburg on the itinerary for 2011, so am interested to see as many good pages as possible. Yours are indeed excellent. Thanks, Kate

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM

You lived in such a nice town and the pictures compliment the comments presented. My last trip to desert areas in Utah & Arizona may interest you to see our landscape differences in US.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Fantastic page about a gorgeous town which too many tourists miss ... like myself. LOL Great pictures, but that's expected in such a town. Excellent, very informative text as well.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Marburg an der Lahn

Have you been to Marburg an der Lahn?

Latest Activity in Marburg an der Lahn