Marienberg Favorite Tips by Kathrin_E
Marienberg Favorites: 1 reviews and 3 photos
Town plan (from a flyer by tourist information)
Favorite thing: Marienberg is a Renaissance town with a regular ground plan. It was founded by Duke Heinrich der Fromme (the Pious) in 1521 on a plateau in the Erzgebirge forest, in a place where abundant ressources of silver ore had been discovered two years earlier. Ulrich Rülein von Calw designed the ground plan after the models of Italian Renaissance cities. Marienberg claims to be the first Renaissance town in Germany.
The shape of the old town is almost square (with the Southwestern corner cut off because of the topography of the grounds). The streets form a rectangular pattern. The centre of the town is the wide market square, the sides of the square have a length of about about 130 m.
Fondest memory: The Renaissance plan is entirely preserved. New buildings have been integrated in the historical plan. Apart from town hall and parish church, there are a lot of houses from the 16th century. Most of these show a rather plain architecture but have elaborate portals, for example in Zschopauer Straße.
More Reviews (10)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Marienberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marienberg - Renaissance Mining Town"
- "Marienberg, in exDDR"
- "A Wombat in Marienberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marienberg
- Transportation in Marienberg
- Restaurants in Marienberg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gronau Hotels
- Loch Lubnaig Hotels
- Trona Hotels
- Lambrate Hotels
- Phenix City
Badges & Stats in Marienberg
- 11 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Marienberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marienberg
Photos in MarienbergSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues