"Marienberg - Renaissance Mining Town" Marienberg by Kathrin_E
Marienberg Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 157 photos
Marienberg won't be in the focus of many visitors as it is a bit off the main routes. However, it is one of the rich old mining towns in the Ore Mountains with a long tradition. It was founded a bit later than most of the others, in timews when the Italian Renaissance style was already popular and architects had heard of planned cities with regular ground plans on geometrical patterns. Marienberg is one of the earliest Renaissance towns North of the Alps.
Marienberg was founded and settled from nearby Annaberg and owes its privileges and status to the older neighbour. The selection of the town's patron and name giver was easy. As the Virgin Mary is the daughter of Anna, Marienberg is the 'daughter' of Annaberg.
The stained glass window in the choir behind the altar contains a vedoute of Marienberg. It shows the town under the... more travel advice
Marienberg's parish church is located one block South of market square. The steeple and huge roof are impossible to... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Marienberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marienberg - Renaissance town in the mountains"
- "Marienberg - Renaissance Mining Town"
- "Marienberg, in exDDR"
- "A Wombat in Marienberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marienberg
- Transportation in Marienberg
- Restaurants in Marienberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marienberg
- 11 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Marienberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marienberg
Photos in MarienbergSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues