"Paderborn" Top 5 Page for this destination Paderborn by Kathrin_E
Paderborn Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 279 photos
Paderborn has been the seat of a Bishop since the early middle ages. The diocese was founded by Charlemagne in 799 when the king and Pope Leo III met in this very location to negotiate the modalities of the coronation as emperor, which then took place at Christmas 800 in Rome.
The city has suffered severe damages during World War II. Only a few weeks before the end of the war, on March 27, 1945 the heaviest air raid hit the city. The resulting firestorm reduced the centre to ashes and rubble and killed a lot of people. Not much is left of old Paderborn. The churches and a few other old buildings have been repaired or rebuilt.
Paderborn’s image is being the most catholic of all catholic cities in Germany. In recent decades, with World War II refugees coming, the new university and generally more mobility among the population, things have changed and opened up. Anyway, you will still notice the predominance of the catholic faith when walking the streets of the old town, not only from the number of churches and monasteries.
What impressed me most, apart from the cathedral, was the landscape around the Pader springs. Several dozens of springs open up right downhill from the cathedral, in the middle of the city, and spit out an enormous amount of water. The Pader is Germany's shortest river but definitely not its smallest. From the beginning it qualifies as river, not as creek or stream. Running water adds a lot to the flair of a place and here we have a lot of it. The springs are set in stone basins and made part of a nice park area.
World War II bombs spared one single block of old Paderborn, North of the Dom behind the Pader springs, in... more travel advice
The little chapel at the far end of the cloister on the way to the three hares window is dedicated to the victims of... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Paderborn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paderborn - where the river Pader is born"
- "Paderborn, home to Stockburn & the Libori Fest"
- "Paderborn in East Westphalia-Lippe"
- "Welcome to PADERBORN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paderborn
- Hotels in Paderborn
- Transportation in Paderborn
- Nightlife in Paderborn
- Restaurants in Paderborn
- Shopping in Paderborn
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paderborn
- 27 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Paderborn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paderborn
Photos in PaderbornSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Paderborn hotel reviews
- Best Western Arosa Hotel
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013