"Advent in Passau" Top 5 Page for this destination Passau by Kathrin_E
Passau Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 427 photos
Passau's unique selling proposal is its location at the confluence of three rivers: Danube/Donau, Inn and Ilz. Landscape and city together form a great panorama.
At the same time this location is their biggest problem, as the city is in danger of floodings. The old town is located on the peninsula between Donau and Inn and if one of them, or worse: both, brings a flood wave the lower part of the old town is drowned. The flood of June 2013 has been the worst they had for 500 years. Clean-ups have been finished in the meantime, but renovation works are likely to take a while. Nevertheless Passau welcomes and needs visitors now, town businesses can do with everey Euro tourists would spend.
I visited in December 2012, though, when everything was dry and calm. My so far only visit to Passau dated back 40 years, I was a small kid then and did not remember much. Reason to go again. So I picked Passau as the first base during my 2012 Advent trip, to see the Christmas market and the city and some places in the surroundings. As usual, a four-night stay was too short to cover everything I would have wanted to cover. Reason to visit again in the future...
Passau has recently become a rather busy tourist spot, it seems, because it is a major stop or even start/end point for cruises on the Danube. I am not sure if the current river cruise hype will do the city much good. It was December and there were just one or two cruise ships in town, but the cruise passengers showed. I really do not want to know what's it like during peak season when the inmates of eight or ten or more cruise ships invade the town. The entire Danube bank almost up to Dreiflüsseeck has boat landings lined up, one of which is used for a local company's day cruises, al the others are meant for cruise vessels. I noticed lots of souvenir shops of the tackiest kind in the old town, the kind that caters for overseas tourists (think cuckoo clocks, Berlin bears, Bavarian folkloristic items, snow globes depicting Cologne cathedral and beer steins all in one place). Passau is a beautiful place, let's hope it won't become the next Rothenburg.
On the bank of the Danube there is the statue of a young lady named Emerenz Meier. Emerenz (no idea why people here... more travel advice
Passau is located on the border to Austria and counts as border station. If you intend to do a day trip into Austria,... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Passau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Passau - where 3 rivers join"
- "An Blauer Donau,grünem Inn und schwarzer Ilz!"
- "Three rivers junction"
- "Advent in Passau"
- "Passau during floods..."
- "Passau - A Perfect Long Weekend Getaway"
- "Passau - a town with 3 rivers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Passau
- Hotels in Passau
- Transportation in Passau
- Nightlife in Passau
- Restaurants in Passau
- Shopping in Passau
- Warnings and Dangers in Passau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Passau
- 22 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Passau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Passau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues