"Pforzheim: Searching for Gold in a Post-War Desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Pforzheim by Kathrin_E
Pforzheim Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 142 photos
Pforzheim is a famous centre of goldsmith craft and jewellery making. Apart from that, the place rather qualifies as one of the ugliest cities in Baden-Württemberg. The traumatic date in its history was February 23, 1945 when almost the entire city was bombed to ashes and rubble. The new Pforzheim is post-war and not much to write home about.
Or is it?
Instead of visiting the jewellery exhibitions, I went treasure hunting for traces of Pforzheim's history.
I searched and walked a lot, but not in vain. Among the historical buildings I found, here are the two I liked best:
# The catholic church by the river, an interesting 1920s architecture. Rebuilt after the war, but by the same architect who had originally planned it.
# The Stadtmuseum ensemble in the west of the city. This area used to be the centre of the village of Brötzingen, which has long become part of the city. This is probably the only larger ensemble that survived the war more or less unharmed. The old village church, school and parsonage have been tunred into the historical museum of the city. This is my no. 1 tip to see in Pforzheim.
Once per year, one Friday night and Saturday in July, the city centre of Pforzheim is turned into a big flea market. The... more travel advice
The square behind the modern city hall has been named "Platz des 23. Februar 1945" to commemorate the date of the city's... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Pforzheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Pforzheim"
- "Pforzheim: Searching for Gold in a Post-War Desert"
- "Charm of "Goldstadt""
- "City of Gold"
- "cjg1's new Pforzheim Page"
- "Calw - a birthplace of Herman Hesse"
- "Pforzheim, just passing through"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pforzheim
- Hotels in Pforzheim
- Transportation in Pforzheim
- Nightlife in Pforzheim
- Restaurants in Pforzheim
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pforzheim
- 15 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Pforzheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pforzheim
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Does Christmas reflect your..."
- Wrote a Review Gruschtelmarkt: Annual Big Flea Market in Pforzheim Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gruschtelmarkt: Annual Big Flea Market"
- updated a Pforzheim Travel Page "Pforzheim: Searching for Gold in a Post-War Desert"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Pforzheim travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues