"Pirna" Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna by Kathrin_E

Pirna Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 417 photos

Pirna claims to be the gateway to Saxon Switzerland. It is a convenient base to explore the many attractions in said area and also the eastern end of the Ore Mountains and of course Dresden. All these can easily be reached.

However, Pirna itself is worth a closer look. Canaletto came here to paint some of his famous vedoutes in the 1750s and the old town still looks almost the same as in his paintings. A bit cleaner and tidier, and there were no cars and no illuminated shop signs, but the historical architecture is still there.

I have visited Pirna three times so far. The first visit was short and unplanned: I did the Elbe cruise from Bad Schandau back to Dresden and had to change boats in Pirna, which included one hour waiting time, so I went for a walk of the town. Already then I discovered the pretty old streets and the jawdropping gothic architecture of the main church.

Visit number two was also short, a stopover in the evening for dinner on the way back from a hike (or what Saxons call a "hike" - see my Bad Schandau page to find out more).

In December 2010 I was finally able to devote more time to this little gem of a town. I made Pirna my base for four nights. This involved day trips, sure, but I took my time to explore the old town and the Christmas market.

• Last visit to Pirna: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2011

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Excellent updates. What a gem this B&B is! Fabulous pictures of St. Mary's. Ohhh, that awful Glühwein ... :( - Fabulous tips. Hm, haven't taken a photo of the grey bus yet.

• amsor's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Canaletto-view of 2008, great photo !

• schoobi's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM

great photography !

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Pirna