"Pirna" Top 5 Page for this destination Pirna by Kathrin_E
Pirna Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 418 photos
Pirna claims to be the gateway to Saxon Switzerland. It is a convenient base to explore the many attractions in said area and also the eastern end of the Ore Mountains and of course Dresden. All these can easily be reached.
However, Pirna itself is worth a closer look. Canaletto came here to paint some of his famous vedoutes in the 1750s and the old town still looks almost the same as in his paintings. A bit cleaner and tidier, and there were no cars and no illuminated shop signs, but the historical architecture is still there.
I have visited Pirna three times so far. The first visit was short and unplanned: I did the Elbe cruise from Bad Schandau back to Dresden and had to change boats in Pirna, which included one hour waiting time, so I went for a walk of the town. Already then I discovered the pretty old streets and the jawdropping gothic architecture of the main church.
Visit number two was also short, a stopover in the evening for dinner on the way back from a hike (or what Saxons call a "hike" - see my Bad Schandau page to find out more).
In December 2010 I was finally able to devote more time to this little gem of a town. I made Pirna my base for four nights. This involved day trips, sure, but I took my time to explore the old town and the Christmas market.
Two oriels on two different renaissance houses at opposite ends of the old town have gained fame due to their contrary... more travel advice
Pirna is not a big city but a little shopping could be pleasant. There are many small, locally owned shops of all kinds... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Pirna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pirna - Gateway to Saxon Switzerland"
- "Pirna - a jewel south of Dresden"
- "Evening visit and rock formation (Bastei)"
- "Welcome to PIRNA"
- "My trip to Pirna"
- "Pirna.... before"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pirna
- Hotels in Pirna
- Transportation in Pirna
- Restaurants in Pirna
- Shopping in Pirna
- Warnings and Dangers in Pirna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pirna
- 12 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Pirna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pirna
Photos in PirnaSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 431 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues