Plauen Transportation Tips by Kathrin_E
Plauen Transportation: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Oberer Bahnhof, station hall
Plauen has three train stations: Oberer Bahnhof, Unterer Bahnhof, Westbahnhof. Oberer Bahnhof, the "upper" station, is the main one that you will need when you are arriving or departing on the Sachsen-Franken-Express route, the train line Dresden - Chemnitz - Hof - Nürnberg, or from the northern direction.
The name "Upper Station" should be taken seriously. The station is located at the top of a long and rather steep slope above the city centre. Walking downhill along Bahnhofstraße towards the city is doable, although long, but back to the station, especially with luggage, this is for hardcore walkers only. If you like your life a bit easier, invest 1.30 € for a tram ticket and take the tram 5 to "Oberer Bahnhof/Busbahnhof". This stop is just next to the station hall and at the same level. Trams run every 10 minutes. Better not fall for the 1 or 6 which has a stop named "Oberer Bahnhof/Pausaer Straße": This stop is located in the main street crossing below the station and you'd still have to walk a notable stretch uphill.
Plauen's tram network was a pleasant surprise. I had considered Plauen some kind of smallish town but this has big city quality. During the daytime all tram lines run at intervals of 10 minutes, so you never wait long. All lines meet at the central stop "Tunnel" next to the old town and the end of Bahnhofstraße.
Five tram lines (1 and 3 - 6) and four bus lines (A - D) cover most of the city during the day. From 20:30 to 1:00 five night lines take over. (After 1 a.m. you night birds will have to walk, though, sorry - or continue until about 5 a.m. when the trams start running again.)
Fares are really moderate: a single ticket for travel within the city is 1.30 €, a day pass 3.20 €. Tickets can be obtained from the drivers, from the ticket machines at most tram stops, from some shops and from the service booth at Tunnel. Remember to validate your ticket when boarding tram or bus, i.e. punch it into the orange box to have it stamped.
Plauen is part of the regional network (VTV) which covers the whole Vogtland.
You'll need the tram if you plan to visit Schaustickerei (see Things to do tips), tram 4 takes you there. The 5 to Oberer Bahnhof, the main train station, is also useful to know.
A day pass is worth considering if you want a break from walking and continue sightseeing from a comfortable tram seat, touring some of the suburbs.
Be prepared for high steps, though. Plauen's trams are not the latest models.
More Reviews (12)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Plauen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Plauen
- Hotels in Plauen
- Transportation in Plauen
- Restaurants in Plauen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Victor Harbour
- Falim Hotels
- Isola d' Elba
- Lake Sampaloc Hotels
- Anyksciai Hotels
- Katherine Hotels
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Transportation
- Lithuania Transportation
- Costa de Caparica Transportation
- New Paltz Transportation
- Portimão Transportation
- Marathon Transportation
- International Airport - EZE
- Porvoo Transportation
- Centralia Transportation
- Stein am Rhein Transportation
- Bretagne Transportation
- Pundaquit Transportation
Badges & Stats in Plauen
- 14 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Plauen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plauen
Photos in PlauenSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Plauen hotel reviews
- Parkhotel Plauen
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 30, 2013